1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lou Rawls, Live.. what's the bass player playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jul 28, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Lou Rawls in 1976 performing his hit, You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine. I never listened to this old video before and was quite surprised to hear how great the bass player played live on this show. Probably a studio cat.... but man did he have great chops, and SIMPLE.

This is one great singer, and I was listening to this and really enjoyed the bass player. He is WAYYY out front and really pushes the groove. Soo ok, what kind of bass and what amp do you guys think he's playing?

Also what did you think of the performance?

Thanks for entertaining my crazy thoughts :)

NigelD likes this.
  2. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    He's playing a P bass, and I would imagine you're hearing a DI for the TV mix

3. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Seeing the amp/cab at 4:19, but can't make 'em out. Some tasty stuff in there. If anyone knows who the bassist is, would be good info.

4. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I can't see the bass clearly enough; it could be a Fender. The bassist definitely is pumping out a solid groove in that performance! An outstanding job, and a very tight group. The mix also goods good. :)

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Very tasteful pocket playing. I especially like the way the bassist drops down by a fourth or a fifth just in advance of the chord changes, then climbs back up to the new chord - plus the little upper-register arpeggios and smears (love a good smear :smug:) he uses as fills at the ends of phrases.

I also really like the way the drummer changes up the whole feel on the choruses, by accenting the off-beat on the hi-hat. Groovy stuff, baby! :cool: :p

MM

6. hangman

hangman Supporting Member

I'm not positive but that might be Kim Darigan.

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed the vid. I googled Kim Darigan and couldn't find anything. Some of the things you guys say really makes me realize I'm rubbing shoulders with true pros with experience :)

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I talked with a bass player friend from Seattle on the phone and he said it looked like he was playing an Ampeg Flip-top amp, probably with a 15" speaker, and yes, DI'ed out to the mix for broadcast.

9. Judging from his eyes, Lou looks like he's about half in the bag.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Headstock looks like a Fender. I do know he's grooving the hell outta that thing! He's definitely got chops and groove!

11. bdywzbrian

bdywzbrian

Mar 16, 2012
    NW Illinois
    Them' were the days! Midnight Special was to TV as YouTube is to the internet. Mostly original performances, different than the album versions, no lip singing, acts you'd never see in small town America. All the cool dudes had a suit like that but no matter how much you smoked you'd never sound like Lou. I'll have to listen to this on my computer, with the phone I seldom hear the bass line.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    You got that right. And they had EVERYONE on there. All styles, and boy was the musicianship good. :bassist:

13. edarigan

edarigan

May 21, 2018
    You are correct. That is my dad, Kim Darigan, playing the bass. I’ll havw to ask him which one he was playing. Glad you all appreciate his work!

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    So Classy, those were the days when real musicians and singers meant something, thanks for nothing hip hoppers, way to destroy real music. Lou Rawls had one heck of a voice, god I miss those days. Great bass playing too, so much respect for guys like that.

edarigan likes this.
  15. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Very cool to have you respond! I didn't realize how old the thread was but that is one amazing performance on the bass!

edarigan likes this.
  16. That groove had my foot tapping (while not uncommon, is usually the butt of many great jokes around here when I have headphones on and nobody has a clue what I'm listening to!).

That was a really tight drum/bass lock up there- certainly something that we can take away and learn/refresh ourselves with!

Thanks for posting!

BTW, Other than seeing a Fender head-stock in a few shots, i haven't a clue as to the amp/cab. As other have suggested, probably a D.I..

edarigan likes this.
  17. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    First guess is a P bass

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    How cool is that!

TinIndian likes this.
  19. P bass.
    While I don't doubt the DI, I feel certain that there are enough mikes there to pick up some of the amp.

20. Hillbillypolack

Hillbillypolack

Mar 2, 2018
    Speaking of cool funky 70s grooves (and P Bass):

jonathanhughes likes this.