1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lou Reed's Bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gerry grable, Nov 2, 2013.

1. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    This should be okay on both the BG and DB sides.
    A friend of mine posted it on his FB today and I thought you guys on BG might find it of interest.
    GG

http://youtu.be/XBXUP5GqYJs

2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Herbie Flowers was much more than simply 'Lou Reed's bassist'. An enormously long discography and one of the top British session players of his time. Great bassist.

3. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Yes. I was aware of that, but I didn't know he was on Lou Reed's record of Wildside, or that he over-dubbed the BG on it.
    Just like a lot of people don't know that Phil Woods, whose birthday is today, played the alto solo on Billy Joel's Just the Way You Are.

4. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
  5. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Lou has had plenty of great bass players. I've really enjoyed Fernando Saunders' work with Lou over the years.

Mike

6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    No worries; I thought you'd like to see some of the info over there. Herbie's one of my new favorites even though I've loved his work for years. I just never knew it!

Drummers are plumbers
    . I like that, even if I'm not entirely sure what it means...

7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    On a related note, I've always dug the way that Will Lee plays "Walk on the wild side". He found a way to play both the lower and upper register bass parts on his Sadowsky at the same time. It's actually pretty cool. And he even did that live with Lou on Late Night with David Letterman back in the NBC days.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    …Lee talked about that years ago in a Bass Player mag? Anyway, do that in a music store (or on stage/rehearsal…& people will turn their heads.