Loud 1/2 or 5/8 basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jaybo, Apr 26, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I play a German Juzek 1/2 or 5/8 (I'm not sure) bass. I play in a medium sized string orchestra next to a 3/4 Juzek and the volume is fine for that application. However, in symphony orchestra I often find myself being drowned out (even more than basses usually are!). I've considered moving to a larger bass but none of the 3/4's not being used at my school really don't seem worth playing. I decided it would be better to sacrifice a little volume for good tone. Is this something I should always expect out of all smaller basses or does the overall output volume of the bass have just as much to do with quality of wood, construction, bow quality, strings, etc? I assume that it depends on a lot of things and not just body size?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My experience has been that size is not the deciding factor in how loud a bass is, but it's a pretty good indicator.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I play 5/8 basses I find If you get a good one (and set it up well) you give up very little in turms of tone (I get alot of complements on my sound). you do give up a volume though lucky for me I dont play in any orchestra (jazz,blues,Jug band,bluegrass) so mabye I use just a little amp where someone with a cannon would not. Sorry but thats my expieriece.Like Ray says there allways exceptions and Im allways looking for it.