Loud amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imabassplayr, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    Hey, i'm in a band and my 50 watt rogue just isn't cutting it (although it never did). Whats the loudest combo amp i can get for up to $800? I care about tone too of course.. but i'm not that critical (I've had a rogue... most things sound good, i'd just like something warm that can give me fat low end).
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You could do a search on combos... Been lots of posts about this very subject lately. My money's on the RC210 from Carvin, though there are other folks here who've had pretty good luck with stuff from Nemesis, Ampeg, G-K, etc...

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    In your price range, I'd pick up an Ampeg B2 combo (1x15) and add a 2x10 cabinet. You'll be getting 350 watts with plenty of volume for almost any venue. And the Ampeg tone is especially nice.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The Ampeg b2's a good combo.
    The G-K with the 700RB in it's a good combo.
    SWR makes some good combo's, although I suggest not getting one of their Working Man's combo's...

Carvin's seem to be good.
    I suggest the Peavey Combo 115 (as I always do in combo threads).

5. I'd say go for the Ampeg B2 if you can afford it. If you had less money, I'd say find a used Peavey TNT150 or something - they are loud and usually cheap.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, the Ampeg b2 are good combos... Peavey TNT's are ok. I think a better suggestion would be the TNT's big brother... The Combo 115. :)

Just my opinion though.
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you want the warm, Ampeg sound, naturally, get the Ampeg B-2.

If you want a more transparent, bright, Flea-like sound, get a Gallien-Krueger 700RB.

As always, FORSFYD.
  8. I have a Mesa/Boogie Buster 1x15 combo that I picked up used for $550. I can almost guarantee you that it will be louder than anything else mentioned in this post. 200 watts all tube. It's heavy, but it's worth it. I can drown out my guitar player's half stack with another 1x15 cab attached.
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not to be offensive, but I recall a few threads about people having problems with Mesa Buster's...

Just so the poster knows about the problems with them...
  10. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    The mesa buster looked interesting... only problem is I don't know where I could find a used one cept for ebay, anyone know any places (of course i'll try it out first b4 buyin tho).
  11. I'll second the RC-210.

It's a 600 watt:eek: 2x10 combo for $800
  12. There is nothing out there that is not succeptible to problems at some point. But it's a lot cheaper to fix a problem with an all tube amp than a solid state. I've never heard about any serious issues with the model on a global scale, and I'm sure I've done a lot more research on it than you have.
    There may have been one person here who had a problem. That's common.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    As far as bang for the buck goes I don't think that Peavey can be beat when it comes to volume. I've tried tons of amps, bought and returned them - nothing cuts like my Peavey.

Ampegs sound better (warmer), but in my experience never cut through as well.
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree 100% with the first half. I don't like the "Warm" tone though, and I'm quite content with my Peavey stack. :)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dollar for dollar, the Peavey TNT 115 and Combo 115 are the loudest combos out there for the lowest price. not the most popular tone, but the really cut through.

And if you get the combo 115, you can hook up a 2x10 4 ohm extension cabinet and it will put out 300 watts.

The SWR Workingman's combos sound pretty nice, but aren't very loud.

The Eden CXC combos sound great and are pretty loud.

The Ampeg B100 and B2 are also very loud for the size, wattage and price.
  16. I have a Carvin rig that sounds great. If you want a really powerful combo they make one called the Cyclops. It has 2x8" and 1x18" speakers with a horn and a 600 watt head. I have read pretty good reviews of it but have never heard it myself. Carvin makes top quality stuff so I would definitely check them out.
  17. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just made a similar decision and it came down to the Ampeg B2 and the Nemesis NC410. Although I liked the Ampeg, I went with the Nemesis. I like the tighter sound of 4 10s than the 1X15 setup. I think it had a bit more "pure" sound than the Ampeg (meaning my bass sounded more like my bass). With the enhance feature, I was able to get a great hi-fi sound, too. I leave the EQ flat for the most part. The Nemesis 4X10 was also about $50 less than the Ampeg (I got mine for $699) - saved a little bit of dough. I have heard the Nemesis 2X10s are every bit as loud, but quite a bit less ($575 or so), although I haven't played through one.
  18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I was just forwarding what I had heard. I don't care if it was just a blem, I'm not buying a new amp anytime soon. :)

I'm just figuring it's something he should check out, if he's going to buy a new amp. Granted, I don't care for the Mesa tone, they're still good amps.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, maybe, nope, nope, and nope.

Used Eden Metro, or used SWR Super Redhead.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think it should be more of what he likes? :rolleyes:

Although, those are two good suggestions.