Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loud and Clear E string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been using Flat-Chromesteels for the last few months, and the G, D & A are great. However the E lacks both clarity and volume compared the the rest of the set.

Any suggestions for a loud and clear E string that will match the others? My bass seems to like higher tensions rather than lower, and I'd like something that will bow as well as the FCS (otherwise I'd try some Spirocores and be done with it).

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps a Dominant E?

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Try a Pirastro Jazzer E string. Acutally, the E and A both match up well with the Flat Chromesteel D and G.

BTW, is this one of the newer E strings, or the older version?

4. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I've just put Pirastro Jazzers on as the B and E strings for my 5-string, which I use exclusively for classical playing.

I'm really surprised at how well these strings bow. Volume and tone quality are great.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There is NOTHING like a Spircore E on the bottom. They just seem to have pretty much the most punch/volume and clarity of any other E. I am using Flatchromes on the G and D with Spirocore A and E. Awesome match.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    A Super-Sensitive "Supreme" E could be a very good match with the Flatchromes.

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    That's a pretty categorical statement, Adrian. What else have you tried?

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I recently switched from a spiro stark E to a Dominant E, and I'm loving it. In the end, it's all really just about what each person is hearing and wanting to hear from a string.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've tried almost everything, and although his statement is strong it's not too far off :) Not that there aren't others, but the ol' Spiro will speak on just about anything...

10. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Ditto here. After trying lots of others, I pretty much just leave a Spiro E on my bass now.

I changed E strings this week because the Spiro finally died after many moons, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the Corelli 370 Forte TX that I have on there right now. This particular E string has been trashed by many, and I have to admit that it feels kind of light and sounds too metallic and hollow when played open; but fingered notes are very clear and bright and it bows quite well. (I'm about 50% pizz/50% arco at the moment). Matches up OK with the Flat Chromesteel A, but the FCS is much darker and deader (in a good sense).

11. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Name a string...I've tried it;)

I have played pretty much EVERYTHING on the market on many basses. I don't mean that the Spirocore is the end all. Just that there isn't really another string that is as consistant from bass to bass as the Spirocore E.

12. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'll throw in my support for the Spiro E....I have FlatChrome A, D, and G, with a Spirocore E, and I have been more than happy with the setup. Actually, it is the only setup I've had where I did not want to change strings. I think that the Spirocore E is the best string that Thomastik makes.

13. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks as if I'll have try a Spiro E after all - at the very least this will give me a baseline ( :smug: ) to judge other Es in the future. I'll just have to knuckle down with the bow and get my chops in shape .

So which gauge do you think will be the best bet, light (weich?) or medium (mittel/orchestra?) ? I'm not man enough to tackle the Starks, but am leaning towards the mittels, as long as they are not too heavy/thick to match the FCS well.

I think it must be the new type - it was bought a bout 2 months ago fom Concord.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Tension-wise I would say the regular (Mittell, Red, whateva) are a good match with the FCS. It's conisderably stronger and more present sounding than the FCS, though. When I went through my FCS experiment, swapping out the E for a Spiro was move number 1 as the FCS E stank (old stock?), and then the A was really anemic sounding next to the Spiro, so I ended up with Spiro E and A with FCS D and G.

15. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Ray - I've a nasty suspicion that that is the way I'm headed :p

16. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is my current setup. I have Weich E and A with Flatchrome G and D however I really should have gone for for the mittels. They just have more presence.

17. Andy,
    Your problem might be sound post placement or bridge foot related. I'm no expert but I had the opposite problem. My G and D were a little lifeless. I had someone adjust the soundpost and it brought out the high side a bit better. The results weren't immediate. It took a couple weeks for the instrument to settle into the new sound post position.

18. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't disagree about the Spirocore, but also really like the Pirastro Permanent E String. I've matched Permanents with Flatchromesteels before and it's worked out well on my bass.

It's defintely not flabby like I hear the Flatchromesteel E String can be.

Just a thought.

Troy

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IME, the the issue with bowing spirocores is not the difficultly in starting the string, but rather the sound. All the things about a spiro that give them that wonderfully toothy midtone presence can make them really squeal under the stick.

It's true that spiros can offer up some genuine nastiness when bowed, but I think it is more obvious with the D and G than the E and A. I think you'll be fine.

Plus, aren't spiros supposed to bow better these days?

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just put a set on about a month ago, and they seemed just like the old ones to me. My arco chops are a lot stronger than the last time that I had them on, and scratching isn't much a problem at all after the first week or so. The nice sound is there, too -- it just takes good touch.

This time around I'm really starting to like the red Spiros for arco. They offer you a lot of different sounds and dynamics. It just takes a lot of care and control to get what you want.