Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loud and Punchy humbucking Jazz Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Feb 1, 2002.

1. I am looking for loud ( high output ) and punchy passive HUMBUCKING Jazz pickups. Could you recommend any?

The ideal one would be a humbucker that sounds like a Seymour Duncan Basslines Hot for Jazz.

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    How about the SD Hot Stacks, then?

3. No they have fairly weak output ( compared to the single-coil hots ) and have a totally different tone.

The punchiest humbucker I have found up to now is the DiMarzio Model J

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    EMG

5. didn't i say passive???

6. bump

7. I think the SD Quarter Pound J pup is humbucking. What about them?

8. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pickups. Loud, strong, punchy, passive & not that expensive. I put them in my Jazz & like much better than the EMG's I replaced.

9. Nope they are not humbucking

10. You are absolutely right. The DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pickups are not humbuckers. They are hum canceling. Check out www.dimarzio.com
    They still sound great anyway.

11. ??

I wasn't talking about the Ultra Jazz Pickups...
    And I know that they are hum-canceling just like Precision Pickups

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    why humbucking?

13. Because I don't want any hum even if the pickups are at different volumes. And I don't want active pickups because I want to have the option to go passive

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    so you can consider single coils humcancelling pickups. they are not humbucker and the have a tone more similar to single coils. and they don't hum!

15. what do you consider a single coil hum-canceling pickup?

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    a single coil pickup with an added coil only for humcancelling purpose and not for tone shaping.
    Di marzio does something that way for sure, even their guitar Virtual Vintage pickups are done this way.

17. Which J-Bass pickups are built like that?

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    just to see:

http://www.dimarzio.com/u_jazz_5.html

take a look here. i'm not sure of what you want but i'd ask to sadowsky players what kind of pickups are the sadowsky humcancelling.

take a look to www.kinman.com

....they make only guitar pickup but their site exlpain better than me the concept of single coil humcancelling pickup:

"...I figured the best way to get rid of the hum of single-coil pickups was an active system using phantom coils to cancel noise electronically. I designed such a system, which I called the Kinman Buzzbucker and it worked pretty well. I fitted it as standard equipment to over 130 of my Blueprint Series guitars which were the first and only traditional 'S' class guitar to feature silent pickup operation. Guitar players loved them so much they often bought 2. I also retrofitted the Buzzbucker to customers' Strats when they had noise problems and wouldn't use stacked pickups..."

19. Well the ultra jazz does NOT have a phantom coil it's a split coil humbucker/humcanceling pickup like the P-Bass pickup

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    DiMarzio DP123's would be my choice.