1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

loud buzzing from bass when laptops on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thesearchbass98, Aug 15, 2012.

1. For the last month my bass has started making a very loud buzzing noise when my brothers laptop is on.It doesn't do this when my laptop is on but it does it when my brothers is on,does anyone know what could be causing this and how it can be fixed.

2. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    might be the amplifier and not the bass

something to do with grounding or radio interference... does it do it when the laptop is running on battery? or just when the laptop is plugged maybe in the same socket?
    if it buzzes whje n the laptop is running on battery mode you got yourself a radio wave interference problem... if it buzzes when the laptop is plugged in you got yourself a grounding problem...

I bet on the radio interference (60 Hz)...

i can diagnose but can't solve...

Subscribing to learn something =)

3. I tried it when his computer was unplugged and it worked so it is a grounding problem. Do you know what i could do to fix it? Would it work if the computer was plugged into a different socket?

4. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    yeah try that... a diferent socket from the amplifier...

also try this unplugg the bass from the amp if the problem presists... that way we will know if its from the amp or from the bass... its probably from the amp

5. tried plugging the amp in through a different socket and it didn't go away and tried without the bass being plugged in and it went away so its the bass not the amp.

6. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    well try to go as far as you can away from the laptop with the bass....

7. Well for know im just gonna have him unplug his charger when im gonna play since the only reason he keeps it plugged in anyway is cause when its plugged in it runs faster.

8. Ow and thank you very much for your help

9. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    very strange this problem.. bnut if you find a more permanet solution let us know...
    I am having a buzzing amp, that buzzes without anything connected.. still studying the problem... hope i don't have to take it to be serviced

10. guitarist09

guitarist09

Jul 23, 2012
    I've experience the same thing!! I'm gonna try all your suggestions later. :D
    Thanks!

11. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    The two devices are fighting for ground. Put a two prong adapter on one of them, and it will go away.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    How far away is the laptop? Mine does the same thing, especially when the laptop is on the sofa next to me and the guitar's neck is close to it. I just turn the laptop off. You'll spend more time and money than it's worth trying to get rid of the noise.

13. This solution will work but is considered by some to be unsafe due to the risk of electrical shock. Personally, I don't know how great that risk is.

There is a device made by EBTECH called "HUM X" that will do the job but they are a bit pricey, in my opinion.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

14. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I think it might be the power supply. They can put out a very high frequency that can get into the electronics of your bass. They are called switching power supplies because they switch at high frequencies. I'll bet if your bass was shielded, it would not be as bad but you'd probably still get some noise from the pickups themselves.

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The laptop power supply is generating electrical noise, which is not uncommon for modern switching power supplies as noted above. The noise is either being conducted into your bass amp through the power lines they both use, or it is being radiated directly into your bass or bass amp. The solution in both cases could be as simple as moving the offending laptop farther away. Radiated RF energy diminishes quickly with distance, energy conducted through the power lines is less effected by distance but if you can move the laptop to another room as far away as possible from the bass and amplifier you may be able to fix the problem. Putting clamp-on ferrite "beads" on the laptop or bass amp power cords may fix or help if the noise is conducted through the power lines. Wrapping aluminum foil around the laptop power supply and the lead from the power supply to the laptop may help if the noise is radiated RF energy. An exact diagnosis over the internet is impossible but those are some things to try.

Ken