Loud car systems & "cool" rims....is there a point?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    My room is right on the corner of a busy street, so when I have my windows open I can hear everything. Since I live in this crappy college town and in the "Student Ghetto" I still notice a lot of people around here still blast their car systems emmiting loud vibrating beats of boring trendy effortless music in an attempt to be "cool". Who are these people and why don't they realize they are morons? I thought that stuff was only considered cool in highschool, not in college as an adult.

A lot of these people also have fancy looking spinning rims on their cars as well. Why? What is the point? What does this do, does it make the car drive faster or give it better gas mileage? Don't they have more important things to spend their money on, such as paying bills?
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    X to da Z says big rims and pumpin' beats are da shizzle!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    One year seperates college from high school. I feel you expect too much from them. The people who were immature in high school will not have changed in that short time.

I felt something you loved was moronic; why wouldn't you realize it for what it is? I can't understand why the Chrome rims point is valid in a world where someone in congratulated for paying extra money for a triple-throwup spalted top with gold hardware, while someone else is belittled for putting chrome rims on their vehicle. Don't like to see it?, don't look.

That said; 9th floor baby. All I hear is wind. :D
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Many times they don't. Lots of college students have to work hard to cover their expenses, but many are able to live off parents or other sources. Those are usually they ones with the p4at r1ms n k1k1n bass!

I've noticed most of the people who like to bling up cars also don't have to worry about rent or other bills.
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    There's nothing wrong with any of that. I would be the first to install a kickin' subwoofer in my car if such things didn't do permanent damage to one's hearing. I can live without rims; I want a nice ride so I would opt for smaller rims.
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    It cracks me up when guys pimp up a crappy car to begin with. The other day I saw a neon w/ one of thoe retarded high spoilers, rims and noisey exhaust...it was cracking me up. It wasn't even a nice neon, it was like a '97 beater. :rollno:

I don't get it...why not use that $ to get a newer, nicer ride?

But, I guess the same debate could be had for modding a beat up mim fender vs. buying a mia fender. :confused:
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

My nephew has an old piece of crap Toyota Supra. Close to 200K on it, but he painted it orange, put a spoiler on it, all sorts of neons, a thumpin sound system, and now its a pimp ride. :p
  8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Yes. To draw attention away from me when the zombies attack.
  9. And plenty of rednecks still jack up there F350 duellies like 18" and put on monster tires....no point to that either.

I guess the bigger the rim-tire.... the smaller the ....you know what.

And what about those dumb asses who spend all there money on those fancy shmancy 4- 5-6-7 string basses and stacks of amps ;) now thats silly :D :D :D
  10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I totally agree with the "it's their hobby, just like bass is our hobby" thought. What I don't personally get is when around here in New England, people spend tons of money to pimp out their ONLY car, make it look fly, and then as soon as one snow flake falls, they're screwed. It doesn't help that half these cars have this slim tires that are like 2" wide :)
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm looks like I'm guilty...

Haha.. I don't have a really loud system though, only one subwoofer so I can get some solid bass in my seat. Aside from the stereos pumped extremely loud which violates noise ordinances anyway, your argument is 100% subjective and illogical.

My car is an older high-milage car, but it's the car I like, and they are out of production. A modern classic if you will. The rims are functional because they are very wide and offer much more traction with speed rated tires, increasing handling and safety of the vehicle. The stereo just sounds nice- I hate low quality wound systems, especially sicne I'm a bass player. I like to hear the bass. If I like the way my car looks with nice wheels, then what is wrong with that? Why is it stupid? How is it in anyway different from making your bass look fancy by giving it chromed hardware, AAAAA fancy-wood tops, or complex inlays? These things are purely cosmetic and completely subject to personal taste. Why do so many bassplayers like to play so loud in their house/garage/bar/whatever that you can't hear the person next to you yelling? Sure I can understand the irritation from having to listen to music you really hate at high volumes- that's somewhat out of your control, but the rest of it.. give me a break. Hypocrisy. :rolleyes:

As far as the skinny tired on crappy cars in new england winters- thin tires are actually better. This may sound ridiculous, but the explanation is that large tires are like giving your car snow shoes and pontoons. They cause more skidding and hydroplaning when there is snow or water. Thinner tires break the surface easier and sink down to a more solid surface easier and get more grip. On ice it doesn't really matter how big your tires are unless you have studs or chains, in which case bigger is better. Bigger is always better for traction in dry weather though...
  12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Brains, they ARE morons! And a whole bunch of TB'ers telling you that you are wrong are not going to make it right.

These boom car drivers annoy the hell out of me, especially when I am recording with a condenser mic!

It's an ugly, ugly sound...full of impending doom!
  13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    You got a problem with rice rockets? :eyebrow:

Yeah...so do I.

edit: not my car...thank goodness
  14. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    5stringDNA, I could not disagree more with ya!

BUT, your car is awesome, and pretty much the exact kind of car I would drive! it is so totally uncool, that it actually IS cool!
  15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I wouldn't look at your car and think it was pimped out. So you did it with style so it doesn't scream it. As for the tire thing...never heard of that before. I guess it makes sense. All I know is that everyone I ever known or seen in the winter with a "fly ride" has been severely stuck. My fiance's brother's car is so bad he CAN'T drive it in the winter. It looks nice, but 2" of snow works against you when your car is 1" off the ground :)
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I get a kick out of the ones where the rattling of the POS car's metal is louder than the sub. Morons. Even if you want kickin' bass, do it right so you don't sound like an idiot with a car that's falling apart.
  18. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    Thats when you bring your rig outside, and crank it. or throw paper bags full of flaming potatoes (not dog crap, it's boring) at them.
  19. Those cars are pretty annoying, since most of them are all show...the kind of cars that talk tough, but can't actually deliver when it's time to throw down.

However, your characterization of college students as "adults" isn't accurate. Most college students aren't adults. How many adults are able to booze it up at 2am in the middle of the week, like millions of college kids do? I didn't start to feel like an adult until senior year, myself, because I knew I'd be graduating soon.