Loud Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, May 4, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

Just day dreaming about amps again. Could anyone suggest a loud combo amp.

I have a SWR WM 12 combo that I love but want something louder. I also have a SWR SM 900 and 2x10 & 1x15 cabs, so righ now I'm just looking for a loud combo. Any suggestions?
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mikebass is playing gigs all over Motown with the Eden traveler/CX 112 combo, sounds great too me, not real pricey for what you get. Obviously if you have the bread the EA stuff is cool, Don at Low Down Sound will build a Fliptop cabinet in just a bout any configuration, I have a feeling one of his 3X8s in a flip top with a Clarius would blow the doors of most combos. He can be reached ar www.lowdownsound.com
  3. I have had the WM 12 once and I now have the Eden cxc 110 and the eden smokes the swr in turms of sound quality (though the SWR 's tone aint that bad), output, projection and versatility. Don't pay over $700 new for one. In fact, you should pay around 650-700 new. Plenty of power for add'l cabs too. I have the matching 10.

Other choice would be the EA Whizzy combo. I love the EA cabs because those guys use tricked out transmission lines in the cabs and not too many engineers have the brains or time to design a commercially viable one. I am not real hot on the EA heads but I am in the minority camp.

Small combos are my favorite discussion topic on amps.
  4. Nemesis makes an 8x10 combo. Should be loud enough!

But I've always felt the Peavey TNT combos were plenty loud. Trace Elliot used to make 4x10 combos and 1x15 combos that were pretty great.

edit: I also thought the SWR Black Beauty and Super Redhead got loud and sounded great.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1 on the Peavey TNT. Its not the nicest combo out there, but it is one of the loudest I've ever used. Certainly the only combo I've ever been able to rely on for practice in a series of loud death metal bands.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was always pleased with the volume on my Eden Metro. But for you, you would need a second cab for it. I used my Metro with a 410XLT one time, and it was LOUD.

I like the already mentioned EA idea.