Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

loud cooling fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirPoonga, May 6, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I picked up a used hartke 2000, I love the sound. However the cooling fan is rather loud. I was wondering where I could find a quieter replacement. Is it s standard 80mm, like could I get an ultra quiet PC fan?

2. Im wondering this about the one im my svt II, its a noisey beast, and im not sure on the size, im hoping its either an 80 or 92 mm fan, then replace it with a pc one, maybe with purteh blue lights :)

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I'm not sure what CFM is required, that's probably the more important part. If it isn't 80mm I can make a plastic convertor easily enough. I was thinkinga silenx temp controlled fan.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A swapped out a single bearing fan with a Panaflo Hydro
    bearingless fan. Supposed to be the quietest.

The problem is CFM.

The more CFM the more noise.

CFM too low - Amp too hot.

CFM too high - Fan noise.

I found a Panaflo Hydro-wave that closely matched the
    voltage and amps of the OEM fan, but has less CFM.
    I got away with less CFM because the new fan forces
    air out in a "funnel" type pattern (much more focused flow)
    with more 'twist' on the fan blades (rather then the typical 'paddle' blade).

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Right. However there are quieter fans at certain CFM. Like how Silenx fans are 14db at the rpm and cfm they produce when other ultr-quiet pc fans are 22-26db with same specs.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    First see if there's any dust buildup on the fan blades. That could cause extra turbulence and wobble as the fan spins, causing more noise than it should.

7. I agree... and I will say that my HA3500 fan sounds quite loud when I fire it up. When I replaced the Sovtec tube with a Groovetube I noticed how the fan forces air into the amp and back out thru a heat sink tunnel thingie (sorry don't know technical stuff) back out of the amp and I supose this could create some noise. But really.....once my bass is plugged in and I start playing the noise is non-existant. Actually I alway's thought the noise was airflow and if I put my hand behind the amp after a set and check the exhaust it's warm (was cool before that) So the fan is doing it's job right?.....right.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Before you buy a fan that isn't a factory replacement, check the voltage on your fan. It may be standard 12v but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

The reason I bring this up is that Trace Elliot used atleast three different voltage fans, 12v, 48v, and 115v.

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep, that means it is moving the hot air out of the system. The question is if it is doing it fast enough :)

10. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Right, I emailed Hartke to see what they say, if I don't hear from them in a couple of days I will try and call them.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

12. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Also check out many of the overclocking websites, they have plenty of info. Hence why I am thinking of getting Silenx fans.

I've been doing alot of research lately. I want my PC to be dead silent during idle.

13. Passinwind

I managed to get really close to that even under a substantial load, with a fair bit of effort. If you haven't already, be sure to check out that link I posted. It was extremely helpful to me.

14. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I took my fan out hoping to replace with a PC fan, however the fan is 24V .14A 80mm - PC fans are typically 12V. Does anyone know a source for 24V fans? I waded through tons of google search results without success.

Thanks.

15. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    yep, I've been there before. I believe they link to an article from AMD that says a single exhaust casee fan is all that is needed. I tried that wiht one of my 40cfm fans, at load my CPU was 45C. I put two of those fans and I had it down to 40C :) Normal for my cpu is 45C at load. I hope a 20 some cfm fane can fo that.

Why I want it quiet at load is I set GetRight to download files between midnight and 6 am (and automatically shut pc down at that time or if no files left to download). That way large files like cd images are being downloaded when I am not using the internet. However the noise bothers me at night. Hence why I am going to try and make it as quiet as possible during idle. There isn't much going on when downloading. I will probably get a thesistor controled fan for the hard drives and two for the rear exhaust. I have a rather large vent at the bottom of the case. I have found if I make all fans in the system exhaust fans (three total then) I can get the system as cool as possible.
    Oh, I plan on putting the Silenx GPU cooler on my video card so I don;t have a fan there.
    Then it might just be a matter or replacing the PSU fan after all that.

16. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Not sure. But if one needed one could get a 24v to 12v transformer... Radioshack might have that size, that's fairly small.

17. I need to do that too! (well, when i sort it, PSU crapped out) , 5 case fans, 2 fans on the cpu heatsink, NB fan, 2 fans on the PSU, a fan on the gfx card and an another exhaust fan (PCI slot job)
    Its noisy as hell! ( the 3 HDD's dont help that! )

But yeah, fans in amps eh . . .

18. Passinwind

www.digikey.com has some.

19. I wonder if the 2000 cooling fan and or system is different than my 3500. The air I feel moving thru my 3500 is quite substantial so I'm sure the air is moving fast enough but the smaller 2000 might not use the same cooling fan or system to move the air thru the amp. If the bearings or whatever are not a noise issue with the fan then be glad. Is the fan cooling the 2000? if yes, dont worry about it. If I was doing home studio work and was using a high end condenser mic and the noise got into my mix then I'd be concerned....but, in a live situation I don't see a problem.

20. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    How can you tell though. Just having hot air out the back isn't enough, doesn't mean enough hot air is coming out. Dot he amps have an overheat protection circuit? So if I didn't get a fast enough fan I'd know?