Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loud enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I've got a Yorkville XM200T combo (2 x 10", 200w) that I'm hoping will cut it with a new, gigging rock/hard-rock band I just joined. Luckily, there is only one guitarist (with a Randall half-stack). Simple question: will my amp be loud enough? The store I bought it from will let me upgrade to an XS400T (400w 2x10) for about $400 more, or would I be better off spending the money on an additional cabinet for my existing amp? BAss gurus, let me know what you think!!

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    No, it will probably not be loud enough.

Spending the money on an additional cab is better than buying one that will accept more power you don't have, but 200w is pretty thin these days for rock.

3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    It may be, you'll have to see. It all depends on how loud the guitarist and drummer ACTUALLY play. However, I would not recommend the upgrade. 400 bucks for 200 more watts? You could get a power amp for that money, which would have much more wattage. Not exactly sure how you would hook that up...but you get my point.

4. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Is that your only option for an upgrade ....or can you take it back and get your $ and start over? What other brands does the store carry? With a little more input I'm sure that you'll get all kinds of advice here on TB. I agree that the 200W Yorkie may not be enough for a loud Rock band...(I have an 800 watt Yorkie powering a 410 Schroeder cab which is waaay loud enough),but even a good 300-400W head with an efficient speaker cabinet should be enough for you...but best listen to the cabs with amps and your bass in the practice setting if possible to see if its loud enough....Peace...DAcat:cool:

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    all by itself? maybe not. depending on how volume crazy or "bass" knob heavy you get

I usually recommend the 15" version of the xm200. HOWEVER, the good thing is it has an additional speaker output. I think if you add a 115 or 410, or maybe a 210 it would be quite loud for most situations.

all by itself it should be good for basement practices. if you play a gig with a p.a. make sure you can plug in if you can!

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have no idea how loud you actually play, but hte XM200T is pretty loud for it's power. Adding a Yorkville extension cab will increase your output and I think the best way to go for the least cost.

Another $400 for the 400 watt combo will also give you a bit of a boost, but you still have 2-10s trying to carry the load and if you're really cranking the thing you risk speaker damage as well as a distorted sound.

I used the XM200T for about a year with a trio gig featuring a very loud guitarist and drummer. For most rooms I had enough power and there was always the DI out for the PA when it wasn't. I used that a few times and it worked well.

There are also a few things you can do to maximize what you have, like using proper playing technique and not overly boosting the low frequencies or cranking up the scoop control, which really uses up all your power and muddies up your sound at higher volumes, but these things you have to work on yourself and you'll learn a lot by experience.

The only reason I traded in my XM200T was because I just couldn't handle lugging around the 70 or so lb weight with that one top mounted handle. I got a Walkabout Scout combo, but that's a pretty expensive solution and one you don't need to take. I still don't play any louder. The Walkabout sounds wonderful of course, but I don't think anyone in the audience ever notices. Other musicians usually don't either.