1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LOUD-era 410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hello!
    I've been told to be a little weary of LOUD-era SVTs. Well.

I have a chance to pick up a 410HE for free ...with some blown speakers. Would replacing all of the speakers with these:
    10" Woofer for SVT810 and SVT-410HE by Ampeg, 86-032-01 | Full Compass Systems

Fix the problems with the somewhat dark sounding stock speakers? Was the problem in the speakers AND the cab itself? Would this be more trouble than it's worth?

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a 410HE from 2008 that came with functional drivers. I decided to swap in Eminence Basslite SC10 neo drivers to save a bunch of weight and gain some efficiency. I don’t regret it for a second. I also removed the horn and crossover while I was at it and now it only weighs 57 pounds. If this cab is OSB instead of plywood, it’ll be heavier than that, however (mine is plywood).

BadExample likes this.
  3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    FREE!?!?!?!?!? :D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It was the speakers, because the cabs made before 2000 by SLM were made with OSB for the most part and they all sound great. And yes, those speakers will fix the darkness of the cabs made between 2000 and 2006. As mentioned, there are other speakers you can get that people have used in them with varying degrees of success, but if you want THE sound of the 410he, those are the speakers to get. Same ones that they use in the 810e, too.

Anyone who told you to be wary of LOUD era SVT's was speaking about 2007-08 when they rushed into production and put out too many non-working heads. But the guy responsible was asked to resign, and since then, they've been fine with very low failure rates, and those failures were mostly centered around tubes malfunctioning. But the cabs have always been terrific, and made with real plywood instead of boogerwood :D

voided3 likes this.
  5. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Can’t argue with that, right?

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    For the most part yes

You would have a brand new set speakers. Ready to rock factory originals

And to me it's heaven having a old cabinet cause you can beat it and dent it and not cry to much.

I had a old 810 that looked like hell. But all the drivers were in tip top shape. So load in load out could be quick n rowdy if needed and not worry about the cab.

Legend B810 from eminence is the same driver. Depending on shipping you pay. Buying new eminence drivers would work too and shipping is free from parts express. The factory driver is just missing the pretty sticker and rubber trim ring to reduce cost.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No it isn't. Not even close. Not in looks or sound does it resemble the stock speaker.

Sorry to correct you in front of everyone :D but they're really not similar except for running at 32 ohms.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    All I know is I've been plunking away on Ampeg 810s for 20 plus years. Even OSB booger wood ones

And never had a single complaint. ;)

Vinyl is paper thin lol. But never cared either. Was always easier tossing around a scraped up cab I didn't cry over lol

9. i ripped whatever tolex was left on mine years ago and painted them black.

10. ......boogerwood
    Lol

JimmyM likes this.