1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loud Mufflers...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masher88, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you can get a ticket for a noise violation for having a broken muffler on your car...why are Harley Davison Motorcyles legal to have such loud pipes? (Besides the fact that a lot of cops like to ride 'em themselves! :eyebrow: )

2. The law was grandfathered in to give the HD's and other American V twins an advantage over the MIJ bikes in the V twin market. :D Just look at the HUGE cans the MIJ bikes come with!!

3. A very good question, and one to which I would like to know the answer.

Some of those motorcycles are incredibly louder than a car with a bad muffler on it.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Huge cans? I don't understand. I like big racks, though!:D

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This puzzled me too. So a trusty call to my old nieghbour who is the PR rep for the local cop shop says:

" The reason motorcycles like harley v-twins, cruisers, and sport bikes are allowed to be louder then cars with broken mufflers is just that. your not getting a ticket for the noise, your getting the ticket for the broken or bad muffler. Also, On sport bikes, those exhausts are made for high performance usage. Hence why they are so big and loud. here in Canada, Its legal to have loud exhausts systems ( As he said this, A loud car drove past him) Just like that. If that was a bad muffler, It'd make a distinctly different noise. Thats how we know"

There we have it. In Canada, Thats how it goes.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, I gotta get my hands on a Japanese bike! :D

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    It's different in the US.
    I've had friends get tickets with fully functional exhaust systems. They're exactly like the Harley exhaust systems, designed for high performance. It pisses off the classic and performance car community to see these clowns with their loud exhaust get a free pass from the cops while they have to spend hundreds on performance mufflers and catylitic convertors only to get pulled over anyways. Of course a large V8 with no muffler or cats would drown out the loudest Harley on the road from 50ft, I've heard it many times at the track. Even small v6's can get deafening loud (and kinda annoying) after unbolting some stuff.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That has always driven me nuts. Doesn't make sense. Those Harley's should be banned IMO. Terrible noice.

9. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    There's a couple of guys that live down the street from me that ride Harleys. Every time they pass they rev their engines and drive like mad, even in the middle of the night :scowl: Every car alarm on the street goes off. The cops get called sometimes but they never do anything

10. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    If the exhaust pipe on the Harley is broke, they can get the same ticket. Chances are, they'd fix it pretty quick though considering it would be dumping hot exhaust on your leg.

I do believe state laws can dictate how loud a vehicle can be, even bikes.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've griped about it for years. I'd like to be able to run open headers on the street like the HD's do.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The reasons Harleys have loud pipes is because it's a safety issue. Since motorcycles have such a low profile to be seen, it's better to be heard. No joke.

13. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    It's not a safety issue. "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is a myth at best.

It is not legal. If your exhaust crosses the decibel level of the local ordinance, you will get pulled over.

As a Harley Rider, I can tell you with great authority that loud Hogs do get pulled over and ticketed. Any bike running straight pipes has an extremely good chance of getting a ticket. Any bike running pipes with the muffler(s) bored out has a lesser chance of getting a ticket, but it still happens.

Also, as of 2006 (I may very well be wrong on the date) the EPA stepped in and it is actually illegal to remove the factory installed exhaust from your bike- emissions and all that jazz.

Believe it or not, there are all sorts of crazy laws pertaining to motorcycles, and they vary greatly from state to state. As a biker, it is up to you to know all these different laws because contrary to popular opinion (threads like this included), the cops are never hesitant to pull you over.

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

14. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i too have this dream. hell i'd be satisfied keeping the catalytic converter to keep the EPA happy. my 3.2L v6 i know for a fact isn't louder than cars with exhausts which are only modified, not removed. my neighbor has an el camino v8. before he put on the exhaust, it had the most beautiful sound i've ever heard. ever since he put some "necessary" mufflers on it, it's lost that certain 'charm' it had with straight pipes. and i want a nice sound coming from my exhaust without having to spend $$$ on some steel pipe. for cryin out loud, most mufflers are mass-produced, not custom, and the same goes for the pipe.:spit:

i wanna be able to hear all my cylinders firing.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    All I have to say is "woo woo!"

16. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have to call ******** on this one. Loud pipes are for assholes. :rollno:

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They are not. Noise ordinances are very difficult to enforce.

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It has been illegal to tamper in any way with any stock on-street motorcycle exhaust for decades. However, the problem is who has the job of enforcing EPA mandates? Local cops? State troopers? There is no EPA noise police.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Exactly.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I really disliked those loud Harley's for years. Last year when I was in Pennsylvania, my uncle let me ride his. I don't know anything about Harleys, but this one was super old, had real high handlebars, had the shifter down on the side and was louder than the front row at a rock concert. My uncle is an old school Harley rider and collector. Long hair, long beard like ZZ Top, you get the idea.

Driving down the road on that chopper was an unreal experience. It was awesome. It was so loud and powerful. Very cool. But I was scared out of my mind. :D

-Mike