LOUD multi-purpose amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris-piano, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Howdy folks,

I Play my Q6 and NS CR5 upright through an ashdown ABM 300 and ABM 1x15/2x10 rig and it JUST ISNT POWERFUL ENOUGH.

Great for the bass guitar but when it comes to the upright it blows up if I want to be audible above drum level. Nope its not a setup issue believe you me.

Any suggestions from experience as to what might get the Job done? Ill be renting in a tour of japan in september, so i may have a good chance to check out different folks for sponsorship so please do point me in the direction. TBers have been genuinely helpful so far *sniff* I dont know what I'd do without you guys....

So to recap I need multi-purpose, Loud, lots of headroom and power that I'll need to keep at a volume of 3-5 rather than 10-11 ( \m/ ), heads and cabs...
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Loud mulitpurpose amps?

One word: HIWATT :bassist:
  3. It's definately interesting, as a british chap they're definately appealing. However I'm a little concerned on two levels:

1) Tube amplification tends to have a nasty habit of being unreliable, now im going to be running a 42-odd" scale Low b with a hint of overdrive through this mama. That tends to destroy anything but the most sturdy of cabs and heads. Plus switching between my Q6 and NS will mean the thing will be experiencing a whole bunch of change in a set.

2) Effectslooping and specs seem to be hard to come by, not that I'm after a 'modern' amp. I get all the tone refinement i need through a GT6/EBS Multidrive set up, so I definately like the idea of a smiple tone shaping circuit but with a send/return loop. While Boss effects are awesome touch ups to any bass signal, i wouldnt ever put them or anything else between my instruments and the input.
  4. Sounds like a job for the new Acoustic Image Focus II Series III... two channels, 800watts, voiced relatively flat, which works great for EUB and your modern sounding EB (Modulus), and very loud. They aren't very expensive for what they are (at least in the US), and they weigh about 5 pounds! Very nice, and a great head for doublers looking for a lot of clean punch and not a huge low end extension.

I'd stay away from their combo's... strange design with downfiring woofers, etc. I've heard some bad things about them on stage. Cabs... not sure what you have available, but the AI lines up very well with the small Epifani Neo cabs. TBer Wilbyman uses a 110UL/112UL stack with a Focus for his electric, and also for DB (although he prefers the Berg voicing for DB... however, since you are using an EUB, the Epi/AI combination might sound awesome... especially given the very 'hi fi' clean and crisp Modulus you use with its extended range.

Just a thought... lot's of options out there, but not many with two full channels that are voiced relatively 'flat' and clean with lots of watts.
  5. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im in the same boat as far as feeling the ABM300 isnt quite loud enough and i dont like running it past 3o'clock as i dont want to damage my 1210.
    I have been looking at poweramps and you can get some good deals at the moment.
    Crown XLS 402, 900watt in to 8ohms, 1400watts in to 4ohms, both bridged for under £300 new.
  6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    +1 on the Focus 2R series III. This is the real deal. It took a little while to figure out tone settings on my Stingray (I was overthinking the problem), but I love mine. BTW if you do check one out, remember that it is voiced more like a PA than a bass amp. I generally run with the high pass filters on (adjusted differently for each bass) and with the treble control almost all the way down (even though my main cab is a tweeterless Berg EX112). With your cabs it should easily smoke the ABM head.
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check out the Tech21 Landmark 600.... :bassist:

It has both the SansAmp Bass Driver preamp and the SansAmp RPM preamp in it and they can be set up separately or combined...... and all with a 600 watt power section!

The RPM is especially good for acoustic/upright basses... :)
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I tried the Contra with my EUB, and hated it. I like it OK on real (acoustic) upright though. But, LOUD? No way.

The EPI 110UL that I tried last week seemed like it could be a good call. I'd like to hear the 110UL/112UL stack. The EA CxL-112 works great with my Focus for EUB, and is also pretty nice at moderate volumes for BG, IMO. If I were doubling, the Schroeder 1210 would work pretty well for me, although as I've said a zillion times I prefer an external preamp for BG with the Focus.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

Well designed tube amps are no more unreliable than well designed solid state amps. Especially Hiwatts, they are practically the definition of reliable tube amps.

Who told you tube amps were unreliable, anyways? [​IMG]
  10. Many thanks for all the advice again everyone i have settled on a rig at long last!

im running an epifani 502 through an aguilar GS210 and an aguilar GS410

The chap at the bass gallery was very helpful indeedy, although my heart goes out to anyone else with an NS EUB 5 string, almost NOTHING handles a bassy low B! Particularly anything under 2grand =.(

Ill whip up pics when the head arrives and give y'all a proper lowdown on how the head sits with the cabs. My impressions in the shop were:

AG500 has a little less focus but a touch more body than the Epifani, but the dirty channel is an acquired taste and useless for using two instruments unless youre into the sound and stick with electric bass guitars. Epifani sounded a little less furry and more hifi, this i enjoyed.

As for cabs, bizarrely i found the epifani cabs to be much less solid than the ag. options, its probably a personal taste thing but im sure the fact that my two cabs way a tonne probably helps stabilise the tone and keep it even and solid.

As with the amps though i would say that for bass guitar only stuff the epifani cabs did have more focus and middle than the ags, but not enough difference for me to warrant the price shift- plus id be terrified of working them too hard!

lots of love everyone, if youre in england in august come and see this chap work its stuff on tour! I'll try and get the same rig for our Japan tour in september too xxxx