1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loud 'n Cheap. Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hey all.

I always seem to pick the WORST times to join professionally minded bands.

One of my two bands is a very heavy and loud crust/metal band. My guitarist thought it would be fun to spend his tax return on more volume and now plays out of 4 4x12s and 2 vintage tube heads(sprayed so i dunno what the origional makes are).

Currently, i am playing out of a 2x15, a 6x10, and a 1x12/2x8. However, they are being powered by my Kustom200 and a borrowed Peavey Mark IV.

So, to aid in my search for cheap volume, what should i be looking for? I am in the sub $200 range and that leaves VERY little options aside from awesome CL/Ebay finds. But, i would like some advice, as i am looking, as to which makes have the volume to compete with the guitar sounds.

Thanks!

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Tell your guitarist to turn down. Nobody needs four 4x12s.

3. Oh... i've tried. I am just hoping that he is just stoaked that everything is new and will eventually come to his senses that more doesn't equal better.

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +1000

However, for cheap volume for your case, I'd look for a cheap used poweramp, and use one of your heads as a preamp. You should be able to find something on eBay or Craigslist for cheap that could drive your 215 and 610 together in stereo mode.

But again ... the guitar needs to turn down.

Good luck!
    Liam

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
  6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Honestly... just find another band. Your hearing is to important than to allow it to be destroyed by that guitar player, and if you try to compete you'll make everything even louder.

Years from now you'll contribute your hearing problems to that dumb-arse and it won't be a fond and warm-fuzzy memory.

7. Overkill! Louder IS NOT always better! We had a guitarist like that for a while......loud as hell....wouldn't turn it down no matter how many times we asked him to. Then, one night, we put up a plywood soundwall around his amp........he started to get it! He's no longer with us though.......he's someone else's problem now!

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Sage advice.

Liam

p.s. stflbn ... I really dig the custom tele/P you're having built ...

9. agree with a poweramp and using your head as a preamp. You'll get the most amount of watts with least amount of expenditure. $200 should be able to get you a used Mackie 1400i (700w/side) or something similar.

And tell him to turn down! and get earplugs!

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Where the hell do you even justify 4 412s?
    I mean how do you practice that loud and not have the drummer die from a heart attack keeping up of having the ?

kick him in the balls and tell him to turn down.
    also where did crust metal come from? you metal guys need to consolidate genres.

11. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I was about to ask the same thing...crust metal? sounds made up.

12. Oh wow. I knew there was an awesome community here :)

You guys are all correct, and re-affirming what i had been thinking for a while. After writing this i actually got a call from our singer about the same thing. He(being timid) asked me to talk to the guitarists because he's been straining too badly to be heard that he's messed up(not TOO badly) his throat.

In regards to being "justified", i dunno. He's all about the whole "intimidation factor". Which i understand... i've been in 2 guitarist bands where each guitarist had full stacks. But, when it comes to our own well being(our ears and throat), i have some "intimidation factor" of my own :ninja:

The pre-amp is a good idea. I emailed that guy in B-more, Liam, thank you!

Thigs are SO much easier in my power-pop band where i could almost get by with a combo amp :(

13. I dunno, think Bolt Thrower or old Napalm Death(metal) with a heavy Nauseum or Phobia(crust) element.

It makes sence to me :)

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
  15. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I'd look for more of the older peavey stuff. Mark III , Mark IV or Mark VIII

16. Yeah, i like the one i'm using. Also, my friend Sonny (bluebeard Sonny as a matter of fact) uses a couple Mark IVs(IIRC) through 2 4x12s and sounds FINE over two Sunn obsessed full-stack toting guitarists.

Any thoughts on some of the old Acoustic heads? There's a few floating arround in the $175 range.

17. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Any guitar player with two heads and four 4x12's (such a LARGE rig) is compensating for something.....

Really. There's never a need for more than one 4x12 cab. If more volume is necessary then that's what the venue has a PA for.

Unless your band is Motorhead, get rid of your guitar player or get rid of the band.

18. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Ask an audience member. If they say he is too loud, then he should listen. If he won't, say goodbye.

19. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    just writing a new song is a whole new genre for some bands

20. id leave the band...that is ricidicilous