1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

loud noise when finger slides???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by teamkilla27, Mar 22, 2009.

1. teamkilla27

teamkilla27

Mar 22, 2009
    hey so like say im going from the 1st fret on any sting to the 5th fret, the string will make a scratchy/slidey sound when i move my hand because my finger/fingers are just touching the string.

so to try to stop the annoying sounds ive tread lifting my fingers higher when i move but that slows me down and when im doing a fast song i need to go fast...

how can i go fast without my fingers touching the strings?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    It just takes practice and better technique. You can try flatwound or coated strings if it's really bothering you and better technique doesn't help. But really, it just takes practice. Hope this helps!

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
  4. Gadolinium

Gadolinium

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    ^ you have to be the first person in the world not to love the smell of WD40!!!

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    I value my brain cells; thanks :bassist:

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    These are great for string noise, and they last much longer than ordinary strings, too:

http://www.juststrings.com/coateddrstringselectricbassguitar.html

They have a kind-of plastic coating that cuts down on string noise and also helps with premature wear.

However, the best solution is to improve your technique such that you don't get (much) string noise in the first place. Check out Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" DVD, or look up Gary Willis's "Progressive Bassics" on YouTube.

7. Arganius

Arganius

Apr 6, 2008
    It naturally comes to you. I began playing bass only 8 months ago (maybe longer ago. Hard to tell). And of course I'm no pro at all. But when i started my strings buzzed, they made that damn noise when my fingers moved. After a couple months of playing you'll notice its pretty much gone. You just train yourself subcounciously to not do it. Give it time.

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
  9. Ossaris

Ossaris

Mar 2, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Also, it depends on what material the strings are made... are they stainless steel or nickle?

10. is the noise coming through your amp or is it something coming dierctly from the strings to your ears?

if the latter, turn up your amp

11. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I actually almost never play rounds, but noticed that whenever I did, there was tremendously excessive string squeak.

Turns out I was getting lazy from playing flats all the time. Lots of lateral motion, sliding around, and other technical things that were actually making my fretting hand fingering less efficient.

So I purposely strung up a bass with rounds and I make myself play it on a regular basis. After a while, I was not only able to cut the string noise way down, but overall, my playing became more efficient. Less unwanted finger movement, etc.

Not that I'm trying to become a shredder, but there's no reason to be putting effort into finger and hand motion that doesn't directly go toward helping me produce the few notes I need to produce.

12. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    have you tried turning the treble down on both your bass and amp?

13. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Cut the high mids. :)

14. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Try turning down the tone knob(s) of your bass or turn up the amp!

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Changing to Elixir strings solved most of the problem for me while I work on my technique. A little expensive, but well worth it and they last so much longer. Great sound and feel.

16. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Well, then I'm the second :spit:

17. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Don't drag your fingers on the strings, then it won't make that noise.

18. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    If you've got one, practice on an acoustic bass with bronze phosphor strings; seriously. It pretty much solved my problem. If you adjust your technique to minimize the issue on an acoustic with bright strings, you won't hear it at all on your "normal" setup.

19. Rub you fingers against the side of your nose and pick up a little oil. Your fingers will slide easier..... and quiet.

20. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY