1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Loud popping sound when slapping.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatOneGuy45, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    I recently got into the bass about a month ago, I picked up an Ibanez GSR200b, a Fender Rumble 25, and some new strings and everything sounds good except for when I slap on the e string or the a string. When the string is open it sounds perfectly fine but otherwise there is a sound pop that comes from my amp. I've lowered the pickups, raised the bridge, and made 100% sure that my strings are not impacting my pickups but nothing is working.

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    I was going to suggest strings hitting the pickup but seems you are already adjusting for that.
    Are you slapping with thumb on or just behind the last fret of the neck? That is correct location.

Two other things come to mind....
    Jack
    Cord
    Make sure there is no issues there...wiggle everything and make sure no crackling sounds.

JSBassman61, HolmeBass and TinyE like this.
  3. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    I've been hitting just behind the neck. It seems to be fine when I hit it softly but if I even a little aggressive with it is when it starts.

4. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    It makes the same noise when I hit it without lifting my thumb as well.

5. Yep, hitting the pickup is the first thing that came to my mind too... Basically because I had that very problem in the past myself ;)

Few extra questions:

-You say that open strings don't pop. When you fret them does the popping happen all over the fretboard? Or is there any point in which it disappears (for example the first couple of frets, or the last frets).

-Does it happen if you pluck hard in the E and A string, either with fingers or with pick (basically, with any technique other than slapping)?

-Does it happen if you lower the volume on either the bass or the amp?

6. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Hmm... One quick way to narrow down the possibilities is to play your bass through a different amp and listen for the same issue.

gebass6, red_rhino and Helix like this.
  7. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    It may be the pickups or wiring too, happens sometimes, get it checked if under warranty or something.

8. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    Sorry, it does occur with open strings, it's just a little less prominent. It doesn't happen when plucking hard and it happens all over the fretboard with the A string not being nearly as bad as the E string. A string gets worse the higher up the neck I go and when popping the E string the same loud pop is produced as when slapping it.

9. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    is it active? if so are the controls on full? does it happen even when you lower the volume?

10. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    ..also if active check battery

Bassbeater likes this.
  11. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    Turning the volume down doesn't really help and turning on contour helps considerably, but it is still obviously there.

12. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    Unfortunately I don't have any spare batteries to check that, however it might be an electronics issue. It seems to have stopped when the tone and EQ are turned all the way down and the pickups (passive) are at any volume.

mobdirt likes this.
  13. ThatOneGuy45

ThatOneGuy45

Feb 8, 2018
    The tone and EQ knobs are still doing their job properly with anything that isn't slapping.

mobdirt likes this.
  14. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    hopefully it may just need a battery change :)

Runnerman likes this.
  15. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Raise the plastic pickup covers.

16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Are you able to record with your phone and post an audio file here? Even a crappy video would help us help you.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  17. cgull

cgull

Jan 18, 2018
    England
    And your amp? What is it - a combo? What speaker does it have? If its a little cheap one then maybe its just that it cant handle a bass.

Bassbeater likes this.
  18. cgull

cgull

Jan 18, 2018
    England
    Aah sorry you said fender rumble 25. But is the speaker ok?

Stumbo and Runnerman like this.
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What are your amp settings when the pop is heard?

Post a video.

Try Turning the bass tone knob on the amp and your bass all the way down.

Bassbeater likes this.
  20. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    OK, could it be that you are resting the palm of your right hand on the strings when (or right before/after) slapping? That would cause the string to contact the pickups. I had this problem recently with one of my basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021