Loud string advice

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ERIC A, Apr 1, 2004.

1. I just landed a gig for the next 3 months playing at an Omni Shoreham.
    It's a pain finding parking in D.C., so I am trying to minimize what I have to carry. I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on loud, but flexable strings, so I won't have to lug my amp around. (I am currently using a combination of Eudoxa and
    Obligato stings).

2. I just put Velvet Animas on my bass and have to say they are LOUD! and flexable. They are pricey, but hey they're worth it. Plus I don't know your bass, but you may want to look into rasing the action.
    I hope you find the right strings.
  3. Helicore Hybrids brought my bass to life & they were used strings.

I think we don't know what will work until it does. Good luck.

4. I'm assuming you're talking pizz. here. For me the Thomastik strings are loudest. The Starks probably being the loudest (little or no flex. ask Chris) Orchestra (low Fex.) The Weichs (more flex) Solo tuning (most flex. when you tune down to regular tuning) Again, my opinion only!
    And of course if you have adjusters, wheel 'em up!
  5. Eric -- sorry I don't have a string recommendation but I am curious -- what are the other instruments you're gigging with, because I also have been thinking about playing unplugged at some gigs, for the same reasons as you. Are there drums? What other instruments, etc.? Is it a big room?

On strings, sorry the only strings I've used are Helicore Orchestras, which are poor for pizz, and Pirastro Flat Chromesteels, which are great for pizz but they don't stirke me as particularly loud.
  6. It is a trio gig (piano, sax and bass). Which shouldn't be much of an issue, but it is a very large room. So, I don't know how well I will be heard in the back of the room. I ordered a set of the Velvet 360 strings. Based on the reviews I have read on this site, they sound like they might work.
  7. jflojazz

Jan 2, 2004
    Portland Or
    How were the velvet 360 ?
    I am looking at them too for a lous easy to play string.