1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loud, Warm and Mellow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 18, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    That's the sound I'm after. Think a modern Acoustic 360/361 rig.

What amp/cab do you think will fit the description above the best?

My current rig (TFB420/NV425) does it pretty darn well (even though sometime I wish a had a wee bit more headroom) , just curious what else is out there in the same ball park.

Any tube head that will deliver that kinda warmth without distorting even after they are pushed a little volume wise??

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa 400+.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm..

a friend of mine uses an alembic f-1x w/ a QSCPLX 3002 & a pair of Acme B-4 4x10's, and his fretless parts bass sounds unreal thru that setup. i'm sure with your NV the alembic/qsc setup would work wonders for your psyche as well.

another i highly recommend is the aguilar db750. the 750 has one of the warmest, most tube like power sections i've ever witnessed, and it goes together w/ the NV series of cabs like pb & j.

if you're cut from the moolah tree, an all tube sadowsky sa200 will give you some massive tubey authority, too.

4. Unless you can find an NV215, I'd say you have the best cab available for that sound. More headroom could be a TFB 550, an Ashdown ABM 500 or ABM 900 (if your name is Arnold), a Trace V8 (if you are really lucky), a Peavey Classic 400 (again your name is Arnold), or for really LOUD, warm and mellow a Read Purity Pre into a Crest CA9. I think the Mesa 400 or 400+, ABM 500 or Peavey Classic 400 would be very do-able and would sound great with your NV425.

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    This maybe ridiculously out of my league, but how's the hiwatt custom 400?

400w of tube power, there has to be some headroom in there, but how about warmth?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Trace V8 can be very mellow, and it's definently warm. With 400watt of tube goodness, doesn't lack headroom either.

I doubt the hiwatt would lack warmth, I havn't played through one, but every hiwatt i've heard has been nice and warm sounding.

If not tube, I definently recomend a Mesa M-Pulse or BB750.. Very 'tubey'. Kind of pillowy, nice warmth to it as well.

7. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    GK 1x15 and 2x10 cabs with almost any decent head will provide what you're talking about. loud is relative though. those 2 cabs can be loud, but not super loud. for super loud go ampeg 8x10.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My 410 is louder than an ampeg fridge =P

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    So is my 210 ;) :bassist:

10. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    yeah, those fridges need a lot of power to be really loud.. most 4x10 cabs are more effecient, thus sound louder, up to a point..

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    As far as warm mellow loud amps go Check out the Sunn/Fender 300T tube head very warm, mellow and Way loud. Killer old school sound with a Berg NV 215. So I would imagine it would be almost as old school with An NV 610

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You should catch up on the Schroeder thread =) Good read.

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can get some excellent warm sounds out of a Mesa Bass 400/400+ head. I use Mesa cabs with mine (which are great for aggressive sound too) and also got some nice tone using an SWR WM 1x15.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Not to sidetrack, but isn't that cabinet amazing? Who would've thunk that a cheap SWR cab would give great old school tone?

The FX-1 would be a good choice. Never played one, but it uses essentially the same preamp as my old Bassman head.

You might want to look for "Acoustic amp" or something through google. I once found a guy that built the guts of that preamp into a small box - maybe that's your best bet.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :cool:

16. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of almebic in a million years!

How about an f-1x with an SF-2 in the loop for more eq flexibiliy (I'm afraid I'll miss the para of the tfunk)? Anyone tried this?

Clips on basstasters shure sound yummy!

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    + 51,632

tell us how it goes, cause i'm dying to try the superfilter myself!

btw, another cool para EQ is the Speck ASC. love mine:

[​IMG]

18. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    That looks nifty! IS that 1/2 or 1 rack space?

19. Pb & J? Pb & C is where it's at!

20. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't think most of these guys know what an Acoustic is I own a 370/301 rig, and IMHO I don't think there is anything around that will give you that sound. I will say that there is a lot of good stuff around now days, but I have not heard anythin that sounds like an Acoustic 360, or 370