Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louder, cheaper!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Ok, I am in a serious fit of boredom, and I need a louder amp. So I have been looking around, mix and matching stuff trying to find the cheapest way to make myself heard without having a crappy setup. I am on a very very strict budget.

Hereswhat I figured out:

Carvin DCM600 power amp - $350
    Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI preamp - $170
    Speakerhole.com 2x15 cab - $130

grand total of - $650

I think I just found my next amp....hehe. This is all I would need for a long time.of course I would replace the speakerhole cabs as soon as budget allows.

How do you guys think this would sound?

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i just took a quick look around speakerhole.com...can you get 2 15's and a box for 130? i'm not sure those woofers are right for a bass guitar application, or the boxes, for that matter. but i could be wrong.

the sansamp and the carvin power amp sound like good ideas to me.

3. What are some other pre amps that are rack mountable that are around the price of the sansamp?

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Since your goal is VOLUME - you should know that efficient speakers get you more volume with less watts.

So take your $650 and apply it solely to a good speaker cab, use your existing amp and you will probably be better off.

Good luck.

5. well, my current amp (a Hartke B90) does not allow for any extension cabs, at least thats what a Hartke tech told me when I asked him. So basically I'm gonna sell that in time and get this, maybe.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Dr. Gabu takes the podium. A hush falls over the crowd...
    • "This IS Rippin-the-brains-outta-your-amp-
      and-stickin-em-in-another-cab 101. If that's NOT
      what you signed-up for, please leave now.

Class? Place your combo on the table in front of you.
      Make a 10" horizontal incision below...BELOW!...the
      control panel. Carefully peel back the tolex to expose
      the frame..."

;)

7. Raven Labs has got one for like 210 at BassNW. I think the Fodera preamp goes around that price as well. I'm not sure how much the Sadowsky preamp costs.

And notduane, LMAO :D

8. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    If anyone has tried speakerhole cabs id be interested to hear how they sound. I was interested in gettin a 4x10 cuz its so dirt cheap but i wasnt sure if it would be junk.

9. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    I dunno which boxes you guys are talking about, but a friend of mine (a very cheap friend of mine) bought a 1 15 inch sealed subwoofer box for his car from speakerhole.com. Quite frankly, they suck. They're put together with Liquid Nails, while most other boxes (like my MTX one) use silicon. They say its better, but in my opinion nothing can beat silicon. Plus, my friend wasn't TOO cheap, and paid for the MDF box, and too be honest, I don't think the whole thing is MDF. I think just the front and bottom are MDF, and the sides and back are particle board. Seriously, we have the same sub except mine is a 10inch, and his is a 15 inch, and mine is considerably cleaner and better sounding. His may hit a little lower, but it seriously sounds like crap. I would advise you to stay away from those boxes, from my car audio experiance. They look like they were put together by 5 year olds. I canNOT stress how crappy they are. You really get what you paid for. My 10 inch ALL MDF sealed single 10inch box was $39.99. To be perfectly honest, you could probably build a better box yourself, for probably a tad more money. You really do get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You know it!! BTW, I have been drawing again...

[​IMG]

11. MDF (medium density fiberboard) is particle board.

12. Speakerhole.com 2x15 cab - $130

for just a little bit more money you should be able to wander down to your local music store....or drive to a good one if you live in a small town like I do, and find a 2 X 15 cab for a decent price. maybe 200 bucks. most places won't give you a good trade when you trade in a 2 X 15 cab because they have trouble getting rid of them (due to size they say). so if you see something you like, try talking them down.

I have a 2 X 15 cab that I really like the sound of, but it's just too big for me to haul around, so you should consider size if you are gonna buy a cab. don't buy something just because it is cheap...I've done that too many times and right now I'm regretting it. I have a head and two cabs I don't like and want to get rid of.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    My Cyclops was kind of a pain to move at 103lbs. When I sold my Peavey 2x15 cab... that was a pain to get packed and expensive to ship!! I agree with Facet 100% ... Definately consider the size/weight of your equipment.