1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loudest ABG Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ampig, Apr 22, 2009.

1. My new custom ABG does have a pickup but it will probably see most service in a strictly acoustic setting. I don't intend to gig with it, just use it for backyard picking with some friends who have very upscale/loud acoustic guitars. So what strings will most help me be heard? This is a fretted bass BTW.

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I, too, am looking for the loudest acoustic bass guitar strings. (5-string.)

My ABG has a solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. It even sounds good with GHS Boomers.

But I want volume for guitar circles. TI flats sound great but ideally I'd want something louder. TI acoustics have little acoustic output at all (tho they are amazing amplified).

I thought of trying Rototsound bronze.They have a high C.

Thanks,
    Tom H.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Even my Tacoma Thunderchief can't keep up with someone who plays acoustic guitar 'loud'. There's no answer that's going to satisfy you.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yep.

Another reason why the ABG gimmick takes up less music store footprint with each passing year.

There wasn't one (1) in my local Guitar Center recently.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes bronze wounds are the best compromise between tone and volume.
    I do use Nylon tapewounds on a Taylor. They sound so good it's crazy but they aren't as loud as the bronze at all.
    Get a little battery powered amp and play an electric and give up.
    ABGs are for tone to me.
    There are some of these settings like the beach where I wouldn't take my nice ABG anyway!:eek:;);)

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    How about Phosphor-Bronze? Any love?