Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loudest Acoustic Bass Unplugged

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, May 31, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I know these things have a problem with unplugged volume due to there small size, compared to an upright bass. But do any of them have the volume to keep up with an acoustic guitar in an "around the campfire" setting.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hmm i'm thinking a Tacoma Thunderchief (is that right?) or an Earthwood...

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Guild B30 is the loudest ab I've played but even that won't compete with ag unplugged.

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    NO!! They do not. If you want to play one unpluged do it for fun, not to be heard.

5. I've seen Jonas Hellborg play his Wechter with a violinist and a cellist, and I could hear him, loud and clear (so it should be able to compete with an acoustic guitar, I take it). But then again, I've read that that bass has a really high action, to get as much volume out of it as possible. It's also quite expensive.
    Then there are resonator basses (think Dobro) that should be louder than a regular abg without amplification. Perhaps you should try one of those.

6. You already answered your question. :D

I wish I could afford a decent upright and actually be able to play it. Maybe the thing is just too big for a poor little 5'4" like me... :(

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'll have to disagree based on my experience.

My Tacoma Thunderchief has no problems keeping up with a single acoustic guitar out on my patio so long as I use a felt pick (important). And indoors, a felt pick allows my Tacoma to bury his guitar, no contest.

Projection is an issue, but I'm happy with the result. And my Applause ABG can't keep up at all, the Tacoma's volume is are far superior.

8. speaking of felt picks, I've never seen them in Sam Ash or any music store near me....where do you guys get them?

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I keep an eye out for them at local stores, and grab a handful when I can. Most small stores can order them from their supply catalog - try band instrument stores, that's where I've had the best luck (why?). I think Chuck Levin's and AMS sells them mailorder.

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    ok stop right there!! what is a felt pick???:confused:

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "Felt Pick" is an Americanism for a birdbath, usually made out of concrete.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

A Felt pick is just what it says - a pick made out of felt. They're stiff but slightly soft, and give a wonderful thuddy attack without the harshness of a hard plastic pick. (Does the noun "felt" translate? It's a semihard substance almost like a sheet of cardboard pressed from wool or synthetic fibers. It may be called other things in other parts of the world.)

12. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    So I should try some ABGs with a felt pick, but there's no chance of gon fingerstyle.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You can do it fingerstyle, but you should probably dig in pretty hard.

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I have an Epiphone El Capitan, and it has no problem keeping up with an acoustic guitar. I play it fingerstyle, too...Never tried a felt pick.

15. those resonator bass aren't that loud (Dobro\Regal\Fender)thats why theres usually pup's in them but, they DO have a unique sound..my choise would be one of the big body ABG's like the El'Capitan or the Tacoma..you should be able to keep up with an acoustic guit...maybe two,depending on the player(s)

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I *can* keep up with a guitar indoors playing fingerstyle, but I have to play much harder than I like - and I don't care for the dynamics that result. The felt pick gives me volume with very pleasant tone and attack.

17. i been trying to decied if i would end up wanting to play a abg with people or just by my self.
    i played a dean(319$) yestrday just didnt feel right seemed cheap,i also played a jay tursey(sp) it was only 200$ but it felt right had a bigger body alot louder and better tone(that freaked me out).then i played this othere abg i belive it was a martin(sp) smaller body then the othere two but 2x as loud and suck a great tone.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... and 10X the price, right? :D

I like the Martin, but it has such a bluegrass reputation that I can't get over! Sounds sweet, though - and it's a real "Mahtin". Did they ever come out with a -15 series ABG? That would be quite a bit less expensive than the ones I've seen.

19. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i dont know if they make them anymore but warwick used to make a real real cool ABG. It was called the alien i beleive and it looked real weird. It had a huge body and more of a projection type sound hole on the top. Look for one used or new if they still make them, but that was a pretty cool bass.

20. Felt picks are made for AutoHarp players. So find someone who sells autoharps and you'll probably find felt picks.