1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loudest Acoustic Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacobcurry1, May 13, 2011.

1. jacobcurry1

jacobcurry1

Dec 11, 2010
    So i bought an acoustic bass, a michael kelly club deluxe. I was wondering what strings in your experience are the loudest when unplugged. Please dont tell me to plug into an amp because it will be used around a campfire and places where an amp isnt realistic.

I ran a search on this and did not find anything so im sorry if this topic has already been covered.

Thanks!!!

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The way an acoustic bass guitar works, just like any other flat-top guitar, is the strings pull the bridge. When you pluck the string it causes the top to vibrate. So, to get the maximum volume, use the tautest strings you can manage without tearing up your instrument. That's the only way to move more air. They don't have to be bronze strings (which are popular on guitar because the crashiness of them helps project the highs), and any good bass string will work.

So, look for some hex-core strings as they tend to have more tension at pitch, and go for something as heavy as you can. Perhaps the LaBella Original 1954 set would be too much for the bass (52/73/95/110) but lots of folks love other flats on ABGs.

John

3. jacobcurry1

jacobcurry1

Dec 11, 2010
    Any particular brands that you could point me toward?

4. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    if im correct try the thickest gauge string you can find. more mass=more volume. like the differences between dropping a pin and dropping a metal pipe the metal pipe being of course louder.

5. my vote is definitely very heavy and high tension