Loudest Amp you've ever owned or played.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Nov 4, 2002.

1. OK since we're wasting time here, What is the loudest amp you've ever owned or played through. Now it doesn't have to be the best tone or anything, just the loudest. The loudest thing I remember ever using was an Acustic 370 with 2 cabs and a keg of beer. My ears are still ringing.
  2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I played at an outdoor festival-type gig where someone had come up with the rule that everyone had to set up all their gear way ahead of time. So we were all there before noon, putting every bands gear on the stage at once.

It made a cool looking backline. Then the guys from the first band scheduled to play got the brilliant idea of ganging the inputs together.

So when you plugged into the Fender amp the second input had a plug going to the Yamaha had a plug going to the Peavey had a plug going to the other Peavey had a plug going to the Ampeg had a plug going to my Acoustic had a plug going to the Kustom.

The guitar amps were Peaveys, Fenders, Marshalls, a Roland and a Mesa/Boogie.

With all of them being used at once it wasn't exactly a pretty tone, but Oh-MY-GOD it was a LOT of tone.We didn't get on till about eight o'clock. The people near the stage were having to change out pretty quickly. Most folks were good for about three songs, even close friends weren't staying much longer than that.

The PA was totally redundant. I'm pretty sure we affected the tides with that rig.
  3. '76 SVT with two 810 cabs. My amp, rental cabs. Unreal.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    My rig :D

1000 watts into a goliath senior is enough to splatter small mammals and disintegrate insects.
  5. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Early 70's SVT head with two 8x10 cabs.

Not only is it loud, you can heat your house and fry an egg on it!
  6. My current rig, with both PLX in place, and all speakers in use.
  7. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, you have me at a disadvantage here. What is "My current rig" and just what exactly is a PLX? I'm an OLD bass player and I haven't kept up with all this new fangled stuff.:p
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Currently, my Ampeg SVP-PRO & SVP-1500 is INCREDIBLE. I'm running it through an SVT-410HLF & a Carvin RL210 (both 4 ohm cabs) & it's running @ 1000W (500W per channel). I played an outdoor show a few months ago & it I was at less than 50% & I was louder than I've EVER BEEN!!!!
  9. Loudest bass rig I've ever played through. In real-world use back in September this thing overpowered a pair of Marshall full stacks with the gain set about halfway up :D

Behringer MDX2200 compressor/expander/limiter
    Ampeg SVP-PRO
    QSC RMX2450
    Eden D-210XLT
    Eden D-115XL
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Loudest and the only amp I've ever owned:
    Peavey TNT 160 w IIRC..It's broken:(
    And the loudest I've played is 300 w Peavey..I haven't used my own amp for 2 years.
  11. Mine.

Ampeg SVP-BSP running into a QSC RMX2450, bridged mono into a 4ohm Ampeg SVT810E cab.

Mike Linkletter
    The Thirteenth Hour
  12. Loudest I ever owned?
    Squire 45-watt amp.

Oh no, here comes that depression again.:(
  13. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    my amp, 400+ and powerhouse 1000 cab
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I once owned a pair of vintage SVT heads and 8x10 cabs. However my bandmates never allowed me to plug in more than one stack... the other was just for show (damn straight, we had roadies).

The loudest rig I ever ran regularly was a Crown MicroTech 1200 pushing a pair of Marshall 4x12 bass cabs. Had more volume than tone, but more important than each of those was the look (it was an eighties metal thing).
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fender 400PS when I first went on tour in the 70's. Yes, the "phone rings 24 hrs." now due to my tinnitus.
    The 3-18" cabs literally "walked" across a wooden stage.
    The 6-6550's in the 435 watt head, (980 peak), showed up on seismographs, affected tree growth, caused DNA changes in audiences, and required a nearby hydroelectric dam.
    125 lbs. x 3 cabs + 85 lb head, (when God made roadies) -

16. It's all in my profile, cuz I'm too lazy to type it all out again.

A PLX is the light weight (21 lb) switching power amps made by QSC. I have a pair of 3002, and a 1202 as a spare. They are much lighter than the 69 pound Godzilla MX-3000a I used to use before I got the PLX.

My rig isn't particularly loud anyway, but it is the loudest (and only) rig I have owned. It is built specifically for clean and massive bottom end, rather than pure decibels. The intent is to shake things off the bar and rattle the walls and peoples' butts. I figure it probably hits about 125 dB at 1 meter from 30 Hz and up.
  17. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

EBS 4'10 CABINET.:)
  18. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    My current rig with an Ashdown Abm 500 thru a Bergantino 3-10 shakes the walls. I haven't played it on a gig yet but I can' t wait.
  19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Most definitely my rig:

2100 W Stewart amp pushin' an Eden D-410XLT and 118XL! (((DAMN!)))
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My current rig.

Ampeg SVT4 Pro
    (2) Ampeg SVT410 HLF's

Loud as hell, tone for days, and massive bottom end.:) :cool: