Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loudest Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Beast, May 17, 2005.

1. Bass Beast

Bass Beast

Feb 5, 2005
    I know this is subjective but can anyone define the loudest cab under $750. Are there situations where small cabs like 4x10 are louder than 8x10's taking efficiency into account. I've found the right amp and now its just a question of making it sound loudest. Is this a stupid way too do it?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Schroeders are the loudest that I have heard. The 1210 and 1212 are as loud as most 410s, and the 410 is as loud as most 810s.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, Schroeders are some of the loudest cabs, pound for pound, that I have heard. Hevos is up there, too. My Hevos Midget 1x10 is ridiculously loud for its size.

4. naw, one ten can't do anything!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think I'll take Tom's word on gear...

6. If nothing else, Tom's checkbook is a howler, for sure!

:D

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Besidea Schroeder, Aguilar and Bergantino make some damn loud cabs. I'm not sure what the SPL is exactly, but most of the SWR and Eden cabs I've played throu were pretty loud as well.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks, bud! I appreciate the support. :)

As for that Hevos Midget, it is definitely louder than you average 2x10, and has more useable volume while maintaining great tone than many larger cabs. But it would be absolutely eaten alive (volume-wise) by a Schroeder 1212! :eek:

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Can anyone compare how loud the 21012 is to the 410 Schroeder?

Also, all the Eden's i've played have been loud.. I want to try the 610, with a sensitivity rating of 107, it should be loud...

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    107!? The loudest cab I've ever played is a 104! I need to check out that 610 soon. :bassist:

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Indeed, although it's rated at 6ohms.. Which is kind of odd.

The XLT410 is rated at 106 @ 4-8ohms as well, btw. And the 810 is rated at 108, 4-8ohms, 1400 Watts. :cool:

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I checked the SWR site. I didn't realize that Eden and SWR were rated this high... Eden is rated at the highest SPL I've seen, but Schroerder cabs sounded louder than Eden when I've played em. However, it was using a different head so I can't compare the two closely...

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The SPL ratings are often over rated. They dont tell at what frequency they are meassured. This rating is from the EBS 212 neo:
    1W@1m 100dB at (200Hz), 109dB at (2.5kHz).
    9dB difference between 200Hz and 109kHz!!! So if you only put the 109dB value on your product site it will probably sell more because people think it will sound louder.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I thought they were pretty similar. You can ask Jorg directly. He's extremely helpful.

Tom.

15. Even better, ask Jorg to publish some measurements.

I'm surprised nobody has done a Bass Tasters equivalent for bass cabs. A laptop with TrueRTA and modest mic will do the job. That would reveal all the B.S. circulating around TB about loud cabs, bass response, etc. Until that happens, the argument is "my specs can beat your specs".

;)

Worthless.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    actually as cool as Bass Tasters is... I don't feel it's a true representation of anything :meh: There are way too many variables to be a legit comparison, just like you are stating about the current cabinet spec situation.

I also feel a lot of players have used & compared quite a few of the cabs (other gear too) talked about on TB in real world settings and formulated the truest kind of opinions...

I couldn't care less what someones laptop says no matter what program. I've seen enough 'DATA' manipulated to prove whatever the the results needed were (I come from a family of Mechanical Engineers and did some time in the EE field, but spend my days in IT).

The guys playing it at the dive bars to A rooms is who I want to hear from.

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    ]

There ARE cabs on basstasters. :D

18. My Ampeg SVT410HLF is way louder than my SWR WM 8x10 ever was. I got mind from Guitar Center for $600 brand new. Another added bonus is the frequency response in this cab is very wide, it can go lower than alot of 15's(w/o getting muddy) and with the tweeter, it can get into the really high category if you want it to. If I were to get another cab, I'd like to get one of the Schroeder 21012's. Now, that is a sweet cab as well, but also about $200 or so more than the Ampeg.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Just to clarify, I do dig your site and have listened to most clips a few times... I was comparing it to scientific lab results in my reply to bgavin.

:bassist: I check often for new gear I've yet to get my paws on

20. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    Basson sound has the loudest cabs i have ever herd bassonsound.com