Loudest, cheapest...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 23, 2004.

1. 8 ohm 4x10 cab that isn't a Hartke.

2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a GK 410BLX, It's 400w. It's an ok 4x10 but there are probably better ones out there.
  3. Well, lemme narrow this down a little bit.

I'm gonna get a avatar 2x12 cab as my main one, and I need another cab for an up and coming noise metal band (drums+bass), and I need something I can trade in for my ampeg bse 410 hlf, one that's 8 ohms, and doesn't weight as much, that isn't a hartke.

I'm not afraid of blowing it up either, because I'm just using it for more volume, and not my important tone.
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    another avatar? sure its a bit heavier but it'll do the job. hmmm I don't think dr bass makes 4x10s but check em out.
  5. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

Sounds like the GK backline could be a good choice as they are pretty cheap, if you dont care about blowing it up cheap can be good.
  6. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    EBS makes a killer 410, but it`s 4 ohm. This cab will however play louder than two GK cabs
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Light? Epifani.

Of course that costs a billion dollars.

Personally, I'd recommend just getting a 2x10. Probably the Avatar... since it would only make sense.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't think it will provide much volume once it's blown-up. :confused: :rollno:
  9. I dont intend on blowing it up, but I will be running a lot of watts and volume through it, and I'm not afraid to damage it.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cheapest: Used Peavey and Carvin 4-10s for about $200 everywhere; disconnect the crossover to get rid of the midrange scooping and they will sound even louder.

Loudest: no way to tell, efficiency numbers are always given at 1KHz and tell you absolutely nothing about the overall sound, the loudest cab will be the one with most pronounced midrange
  11. Good advice, I'll look into either those.

I need to rewire my ampeg to exclude the tweeter (blew the bulb on it, so all the high freq's go no where now).