Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loudest MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mastadulog, Mar 17, 2003.

1. mastadulog

mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    I'm currently in the market for an mp3 player but have no clue as to where to start. All I'm pretty much concerned with is sound quality and loudness. Any suggestions?

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Aren't they as loud as you turn them up?

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    As a general rule, sound quality and 'loudness' are pretty uniform across the board. Buy the one you like.

4. Consider an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. Plays and records MP3s, has a 20 GB harddisk, USB2.0 file transfer, and with the (free) Rockbox software upgrade you'll get options beyond your wildest dreams!

It can be had for $240.

I'm enjoying mine thouroughly.

[​IMG]

Mine's black and silver.

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Shameless plug: I bought a Creative Nomad Zen. 20gig hard drive, 12 hour battery, USB 2.0, and fairly small for a hard drive.

[​IMG]

Oh, and it looks cool. :D

6. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I think all the MP3 players are about as loud as most CD players, it mostly depends on how efficient the headphones are. My mp3 player Archos Jukebox 10 is pretty good, 10 gig hard-drive, usb cable, software, etc, its pretty cool, but if yuo go past 1000 files you'll have to make seperate folders in it. Another handy thing, most archos mp3 players hold other stuff too, so its like a portable hard drive.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think anything made by Diamond Multimedia is pretty good. Although I think they may have changed their name to rio or sonic blue or something like that.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iPod is the way to go. It has a pretty powerful amp(for it's size) 5,10,20 gig models....a bit pricey, but it has firewire(which wipes the floor with USB 2.0) and acts as a hard-drive for any type of file as well. Also can be set up as an address book. Great battery life(12 hours I believe) and is stylish as hell.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    IPod is waaaaaaaay too expensive for what you get. I think the 5 gig model is the same price as the Creative Zen ($249) and has only a fourth of the storage (20gigs for the Zen). Almost all HD based MP3 players hold files, too. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1, which is nice, since almost every computer has USB 1. Just my .02.

10. I have one word for you: ROCKBOX! I'll even post a link to it: http://rockbox.haxx.se/ and download a "daily build", put it in the root of the harddisk, and enjoy. If you, for some reason, don't like it, delete the file and voila, you're back at square one.

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Heck.. why bother getting the 20gb nomad when you can have the 6gb one for $100? I love mine and I'm having a hard time filling it up. There are currently 48 albums on it, and its only about 1/3 to capacity. It also has a recording feature, and i use it to record licks and stuff like that.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I like the iPod personally (especially since I have a mac), but like pretty much everything else made by Apple, the price drives many people away.

13. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    get a minidisk! much better. storage is cheaper dollar to memory. minidisk computer drives are coming out. easy to connect to your computer. 1 aa battery. you'll love it.

14. ah you guys give me a break, get a BABY YEPP, ive been told "Holy crap that thing is clear as heck and its wicked loud!" its smaller then the palm of my hand and lighter then....well lighter then a cigarette lighter ha, itll only hold 5-8 songs, but its only 120 canadian, and you can get a new one that is the exact same as it with twice the capacity for 170 canadian, and the best part? it atually says on the box that it will NEVER break from droping it and that if you throw it as hard as you can onto the ground it wont break, it actually says that and my friend had one and wanted to sue them or somthing so he tried to catch them in a lie, he biffed it and it didnt break, the casing was a little scratched though

15. Mine holds 1,000 times as much songs (everything I have and lots more) for US$240

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I'm seriously considering buying one of the new iPods tommorow, a 30 gigger. Do you guys think I should go for it? Primary use will be in a car audio system in place of the cd player for all my cds will instead be on the iPod. Tried it out a few times in person, works awesome. Browsed the ipod forums, and heard all the glitches and crap, nothing major. Looks cool to me, and a little better quality than the Creative Nomads Jukebox 3 and Zen. I'd like to keep it for a good 1 1/2 to 2 years as well as purchase an extended warranty for it.

Yes or no to this product?

17. I have the new iPod 30 gig. It's a GREAT player. I also have the Nomad Jukebox and there really is no comparison in playback quality - the iPod has a much better headphone amp, IMO.

Plus, it just doesn't get any better from a form/function and portibility perspective than the iPod.

Jeff

18. :D Don't you just love smart a$$es. LOL

19. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

Don't you know you are slowly killing the music industry by not buying PRE-recorded albums????:rolleyes: :meh:

20. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Oh yeah, woot woot. Jeff, just joined the clan. Bought a 30gb half hour ago and I'm lovin it. Haven't used it yet or turned it on with my computer, just held it and read the directions and stuff. Pretty nifty. I'm glad with it thus far and I'm hoping it'll be good when I start using it.

Yeah!