Loudest String? Highest output?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Mar 21, 2001.

1. was reading recently about Thomastik Powerbass (their ad) strings and their self-claimed "higher output". Was wondering, does anyone have an opinion about the relative output of different strings (specifically, roundwounds). I'd like as loud a string as possible and desire "growl" but don't need Super Bright strings.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I never had TI's, but DR's are definitely a volume difference as opposed to significantly cheaper strings.

My DR Marcus/Fat Beams (rounds) aren't metallic bright at all, once they're broken in.

Bottomline, I don't look to my strings for "output," just tone and playability. If my onboards and amp aren't giving me that, I'm in bad shape.
  3. Read the March 1996 Bass Player article on strings. They give the output levels and tonal qualities of most all the strings available. Should be archived at their site.
  4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    The archives at the BP site only has an article about string design, not the results of the string comparison. Does anyone have a copy of this?
  5. You're right, but that issue is still available from BP, and is well worth having. Ya cant have mine!