Loudest, thickest, & highest tension...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jonas Nilsson, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Jonas Nilsson

Jonas Nilsson

Mar 1, 2018
    ... SOLO strings in orchestral tuning - with an as clear and “cutting through acoustically as much as possible” pizz sound.

Hit me with your experiences and suggestions! :)

2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I like my spirocore solo. They aren’t massive sounding or feeling strings but they are present in the mix.

Jonas Nilsson likes this.
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If you're talking about pizz and cutting through, I don't think you're going to do better than Spirocores.

You could check the gauge chart. It's possible that something is thicker, but I think they'll all be darker and less constructed for pizz.

4. “Highest tension” and “thickest” are normally opposites in bass strings. Gut strings are thickest but lowest tension.

Guts project far more than steel strings, but can sound quieter to the player.

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    And "highest tension" and solo strings are not particular compatible. I took it to mean "highest tension of the solo tuned orchestral".

Loudest is also a product of a wide array of factors. The strings, in my experience are an inconsistent piece of that equation bass to bass. "cutting through" is not necessarily the same as "loud". Nothing will cut through pizz better than spirocores.

Peck_Time likes this.
  6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    And then there’s loudness and there’s perceived loudness. A bass/string setup that has certain frequencies (mids, upper mids, the growl) make it easier to hear the bass and to my mind this is perceived loudness. Another setup with less of those mid frequencies might be just as loud in a real sense, but not perceived (heard) as such.

Maybe. Just my nickel.

7. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    All this is secondary to Sound, for me. You’re at your best when your sound is there. I’ll take that over considerations of loudness any day.

Mrlen613 and Jonas Nilsson like this.
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And it's not a standard equation. The same string on different basses is going to sound different. The same string with different over stands is going to sound different. Different strings under the same tension are going to sound different.
    The same strings and setup can sound weak and thin on one bass, big and loud on another, and choked on yet a third.

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So, the simple answer to complicated questions involving "pizz" and "cutting through" is always "Spirocores".

HateyMcAmp and damonsmith like this.
  10. Here is a recent video in NYC with my Chadwick (a Shen Hybrid) with all four Spiro solos:

HateyMcAmp and Jonas Nilsson like this.
  11. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    But you’re always back to Sound considerations. What kind of a voice do you want to speak with?

I say this also acknowledging that Spirocores are an incredible string. I love em. But their sound is not the voice for every player. And other string designs cut thru, too - just in a different way.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    True. But, you didn't give us a lot to go on, so my best answer was and still is Spirocores.

To get an acoustic performance sound that I like and that will work in the room, I've learned that my solo practice tone is not going to be what I prefer. If I only practiced at home, I'd probably play Flexocores. They're wonderful arco and pizz, but it's not what I need on the gig, especially if I'm trying to do it without an amp.

I'm not playing on Spircores at the moment, just so you know that I don't think they are the only string option. We're somewhat in the golden age right now. There are a lot of good choices, but I don't have a better answer for you, based on your question. Maybe someone else will.

I've wondered about Superflexible solos, but have never tried them.

13. Sam Dingle likes this.
  14. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Hey, I'm not the OP!

15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I can say this: if there was only one kind of string, let it be Spirocores.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  16. I'd be unhappy if there was only Spiros around, honestly.

wathaet, Selim and Sam Dingle like this.
  17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I understand that emotion. I said that because I think they are still the most versatile string design.

But I'm also saying that because they sound great on my current bass. My previous bass (which I played for 35 years or so up until last year) hated them, and that's why for 35 years I thought I hated them. When it was really the bass that didn't like them.

18. Jonas Nilsson

Jonas Nilsson

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks a lot - great to hear them in action! Nice playing as well :)

damonsmith likes this.
  19. Jonas Nilsson

Jonas Nilsson

Mar 1, 2018
    According to descriptions they should just be a "smoother" (sound or feeling?) version of spiros.
    I also thought that the higher tension of of the superflexibles as compared to spiro solos would be beneficial in EADG tuning.
    Do you perceive them to be (as described) very similar options - or the superflexibles as much brighter/different to the spiro solos?

20. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I’d be fine if there was only Spriocores and gut!