Loudness: how much do you need in Eastern Europe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I've recently returned to Poland from Texas and need to buy an amp. I'm wondering just how little amplification I can get away with. I've noticed that drummers and guitarists have cheaper (quieter) gear here and are possibly more polite when it comes to blasting away. Rooms (whether practice spaces, bars or really any other spaces in buildings in general) are also much smaller.

So... can I get away with, say, a 100 W combo for playing in bars etc? Or do I need more than that? I'm sure there aren't too many members from Poland but maybe someone from nearby countries with similar situations can chime in.
  2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    hmmm if you've noticed musicians have cheaper gear, which means you've met some, why don't you go and ask them directly? Even if someone from Poland answers to you here, the direct answer you'll get will probably be much more accurate, as the musician will probably be from your area and will know the bars/stages around and what musicians use there.
  3. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I don't know any bassists, just a bunch of bands that need a bassist. The guitarists and drummers I know can only tell me how big a guitar amp is needed.
  4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I've always worked with a rule of thumb that the bass amp needs to be twice the wattage of the guitar amp. Lower notes need more power to be hear equally (some of the science guys here could explain that better).
  5. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I do know this: I auditioned for a death metal band with two guitarists and an excellent drummer and was able to hear myself through a Hartke head (maybe 300 W) and a 2x10 with the master volume set slightly above 1. The drummer asked me to turn it up to 2 so he could hear me. That would never happen in Texas.
  6. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    I know because in Texas, the louder the better when it comes to death metal.