Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loudness of SVT4 SVT2 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Dec 16, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    How does the loudness of a 400+ compare to that of a SVT4 pro? Are the SVT CL and SVT2 pro and 400+ similar in terms of loudness? Has anyone have experience playing these amps through the same or similar cabinet. Im interested in how these tube amps compare to a high wattage solid stater.

I know that it depends on more than just the power involved. Like the cabinets and the eq settings as well as some other stuff. But im asking in a sort of general way. If they had similiar settings.

thanks

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Yeah, what he said. I wanna know too!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think they are all pretty similar. Ive used an SVT-4 and currently use a Mesa Bass 400 (with KT-88's, around same output as 400+). I get better tone out of the Mesa than I ever did with the SVT, but those are my ears. Both amps get as loud as I could ever need, but the SVT-4 probably has a slight edge on clean power.

If you like solid state, go with the SVT-4. If you like tube, those are all kickass tube amps.

If loudness potential is your primarily concern, get a nice big QSC and a preamp.

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I ran an SVT-4 Pro for over a year with most of my gigs and a few different cabinets (PR-410 HLF and Accugroove El Whappo). Recently I ran into some volume problems and was limiting pretty constantly on the 4 Pro. To deal with this, and to calm my craving for more tube gear, I replaced the 4 Pro with a new SVT-2 Pro.

There is NO comparison. The 2 Pro has stepped up the *apparent* volume considerably, and when used for my heavy rock application has an amazing growl to it that can only be achieved from power tube overdrive. I haven't tried a 400 or a 400+ extensively, but I can imagine it's a similar story there for volume.

If you have the choice and can deal with the higher price/weight of the tube heads, you should definitely go that route. I chose Ampeg over Mesa because my experiences with Ampeg have been far more pleasing - and I like to be able to adjust my bias.

Just a few of my experiences for the mixing pot...

5. I have owned the 400+ and the 2 Pro, at the same time even. The 400+ is plenty loud, perhaps even insanely loud. The SVT 2 Pro is a bit louder. Either one will slaughter a high wattage solid state head or power amp for that matter. Both sound great.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Are you sure you were using the right speakon with the SVT-4?

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Mesa is around the same volume as a CL or 2. I think all of em are louder than the 4-Pro. It also depends on what you mean by how loud. When overdriven, the tube amps can retain their tone and get REALLY ****ing loud, louder than the 4-Pro. With the right impedance of cab, the 4-Pro can stay squeaky clean at slightly higher volumes, but if you get a 4-Pro I am assuming you aren't going for a clean tone in the first place.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have an Ampeg svt pro 4 and if you need more power than that I would just use the direct out to the PA since the place would have to be huge.

9. I'll just say to look at the SVT-II non pro model, i think they sound a hell of alot better than the CL and 2Pro if you go for the all tube ampeg sound :)

And yeah, as everyones been saying, the all tube amps will all be around the same output level (they are all ~ 300 watt rms)

10. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Absolutely sure. I had to rewire the same Speakon back to the regular setup for my 2-Pro.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never had problems with lack of volume from my 4 Pro. It has all the power I need to get the job done, no matter what size stage/gig I am playing.

12. Seems to me in most situations I've played in, anything more than my SVT-CL is unnecessary. I played in a band with 2 Marshall 1/2 stacks (50 watt 70's JMP and early 80's 100 watt JCM800) and I could smoke them easily @ 2-1/2 or 3 on my master.

Is the SVT4 pro a hybrid amp or all tube??

I just re-tubed my SVT-CL with EH KT88's and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

13. the SVT4 is a tube pre with SS power section, so aye, hybrid, its 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohm

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've owned both SVT-4 and SVT-2 amps in the past. I've always found Ampeg amops to be underpowered. I never got enough volume out of any of those 2 (i've also used SVT-3s with the same results). I once played trough a Mesa 400+ through an Ampeg 810, and aside from my Aguilar DB750 it's the best amp I've ever heard and played. Just awesome sound of tube goodness adn very loud. I played it with my band (loud drummer, 2 guitars, singer, secuence) and I had the Gain on 4 and volume on 4-5 and it was LOUD.

I just loved it.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I suppose I would go for which is capable of being louder at a clean level.
    Im giving serious consideration to selling my M pulse for lack headroom and because it gets to distorted to easily. If I were to trade I think I would like something thats clean at high volume but could give me a little bit of overdrive shoulld I choose to have it.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You might want to just get a really powerful power amp and hook it up to your Mesa head.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yeah I was thinking about doing that. But I thought it seems like a big waste of money having the m pulse when a walkabout would do more or less the same job in conjuncion with a power amp. The differene in price would be that of the power amp.

Im thinking my best bet would be to get some new cabs first which I need, if things dont get any better buy a power amp then sell the pulse for a pre or walkabout.

Im at a bit of a loss on what to do really. Its put me back to square one on getting a new rig.