Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

loudness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crazic, Sep 6, 2002.

1. hi
    the guitarist in my band is obsessed with having everything loud
    he insists that it sounds better because the speakers act differently at a higher volume giving "better sound".
    I dont believe this
    Is he right?

This obsession is causing probs as we are a ska band, therefore we hav horns who cannot be heard over the amps.

So should we sound just as good soft as we do loud?

thanks

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    find another guitarist

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - indeed variations in loudness - dynamics - are part of the skills required of any decent musicians. Bass especially, sounds much better when you have a lot of headroom and are not pushing the amp to its limits!

I would confront the guitarist and say that you think the interest of the whole band should come first - if he disagrees, chuck him out - there are loads of guitarists about - they're ten-a-penny!! ;)

4. nah
    we couldnt kick him out unless he started thinking he was the leader and ordered us around

5. actually if he keeps it up we might
    we'll just see what happens

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    boot his ass.

loudness isnt everything that makes an amp or speakers sing. its like saying, only shouting makes your singing better. :rolleyes:

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It's true that speakers sound different when you drive them harder - see Joris' answer to a question i put up at the (current) end of the 'harm in too much power' thread
    But if your guitarist wants to achieve this effect he will have to use an amp which is so small that he can crank it without drowning out anything else.

Matthias

8. Guitarists' hearing apparently becomes desensitized very quickly. Mine starts the night, and continues to turn up his amp after every song. All of them seem to be afraid to wear ear plugs, so this is a common malady.

Put his amp into an isolation box with a mic. Then he can drive the snot out of the amp for "tone" he wants, while you or your soundman can control his detrimental impact on your band.

9. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I've been playing for 16 years and have been in bands with and/or jammed with a lot of guitarists. It seems like most of them have had this thing about constantly needing to be louder than everything else. I don't know what it is. I played for a few years in a band with one guitarist that was always turning up and telling me that I was too loud! Thankfully, the drummer would always be like "dude, you're the one who's too loud. I need to hear the bass!" The rhythm section sticks together!

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thats a typical guiatist for ya...

the Guitarist in my band however is very reserved... not to loud.. but not soft.. its great to work with musicians who aren't always trying to be heard..

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I found the best guitarist I can imagine: We even have to encourage him to turn UP the amp!
    And besides I really like his playing style.

Oh yes, I'm playing in 2 bands right now and he is the guitarist in both of them. I'm one happy bassist. :)

Matthias

PS: If you're interested in what we're doing check out www.bern.at - it's in German language only but in the music section you can find some sound files.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Unfortunatly I think most guitarists think the show is all about them. I too have been in bands where after every song they turn up. It seems that if the audience can hear any of the other instruments then they must be too loud. I mean who wants to hear bass, drums and keys when they go to see a band, right? We don't have that prob in our band (thank gawd). Our guitarist only has a little 35 watt boutique tube amp. He's a very good player with tasty leads and really great tone. Tell your guitar player to control himself or he's outta there. It'll help if the rest of the band supports your position.

13. It can get SO much worse with 2 obnoxious 6-stringers competing. I never turn up to compensate and I never hesitate to really bitch about it. What is the issue with some of these people? People don't have to or want to hear every nuance at extreme volume for what is basically a pissing contest. Thank God for earplugs. A rational discussion might help him out. If not axe him.
    Bassists, always the voice of reason. ;)

14. Technically, he is correct. The problem is that his amp is too powerful for the effect he's trying to achieve. If he wants to run his amp full out, that's fine, but you should recommend that he get something like a 1x12 combo, i.e. Fender Deluxe Reverb, Reverend Hellhound, Mesa Blue Angel. Alternately, he could consider getting some lower efficiency speakers that break up earlier. The folks at Weber have a lot of great choices at good prices, and can help him pick something.

www.webervst.com