Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loudness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanqubus, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I just got an Ampeg 6x10, I love the sound, but it doesn't seem like it is getting very loud. How do you know how many watts you are putting through your cab? I just got this thing and I don't want to blow the speakers. The cab is rated at 600 watts RMS, so how do I know when I am putting 600 watts into it?
    Do the settings on the amp affect the amount of power you can put through your cab (especially the bass knob). Right now I am using my head as a pre amp and a DCM1500 for power, does the gain setting on the head affect the amount of power going into the cab? It just doesn't seem like it is getting as loud as I thought it would.

Thanks

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Here's what I'd do-

I'd go around to the back of that DCM1500, and push in that bridge switch. That gives you 1500 watts @ 4 ohms to go through this thing. Don't go nuts with the volume knob, because you're almost tripling the rated for the cab, but most cabs gan go double over their rating and be just fine. Don't be such a wuss about it- these cabinets are meant to take at least a little punishment. Don't think that if you 601 watts into it that it will self destruct ;)

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what outputs are you sending to the amp?? the effects send? if so you need to use the gain on the head almost as a volume control, keeping in mind that at a certain point your guitar volume input will distort the gain section of the amp. If the power amp has gain selectors try turning them up too.

I sure hope that you are NOT connecting the speaker outputs of the head to the inputs of the power amp!! THAT WILL BLOW SOMETHING UP!

4. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Thanks guys, I am using the balanced output to go into the power amp, and I have my gain knob set just below clipping. I can't bridge the amp cause the only briged output is a speakon, which I don't have. Once I get some money I will invest in the speakon but for now I cannot bridge. I guess my concern since I have only dealt with 15's is putting too much bass into the 10's.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Save up for the Speakon, bridge the amp, then save up for some ear plugs. That thing should be deafening.......

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Bridge all the way! It is loud as hell. The 610 hlf is an incredible cab.

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Ummm, doesn't that Carvin power amp have binding posts on the back for banana plugs? That's what you want to use for bridged mode. Just rig up a cable with a banana on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other end if your cabinet doesn't have banana inputs.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What a question.

I have no idea what your EXPECTATION is for volume but even running 50 watts into that 610 should be LOUD LOUD LOUD. With that DCM1500 you should be able to deafen yourself in a few hours.