Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOUDspeakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jun 23, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I did a search on this already, I know there is a lot of stuff about cabs out there, nothing seemed to be specific to my needs, mostly general info. I am considering building my own cab. Which manufacturers of loadspeakers would you recommend. Looking for good full range cab, good lows, clear and punchy mids and highs. I know this is based on your opinions that's what I am looking for because your opinions always seem to help. Not sure what speaker set up to go with I know there are a "ton" a variables and this is a very open thread. If you were going to build a cab, which speaker manufacturer would you use, and why? I know the cab itself is a huge factor, but I want to take it one step at a time by getting more of an idea about the speakers themselves.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
  3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Eminense. They make LOTS of choices in all price/performance ranges. Other popular choices are JBL and EV.

You're starting at the wrong end of the process. You need to decide what engineering goals you want to achieve and then find the parts that wiil do that. You will need to start by translating your terms into reproduceable specifications.

How low is low to you?
    How high is high enough?
    How much are you willing to carry?
    How much are you willing to spend?

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    ESP is straight up. What are "good lows" you need to be able to put these things down as numbers also and most importantly you must understand what they mean. Which means research and reading there is much good stuff on this board about the subject and you can buy some books at the book shop. If you dont do these things the chances are you will be unhappy with your work.

Just for myself I like Eminence and I like drivers of the same size, if I go 10's I want all 10's or all 12's. The reason for this IMO is when you mix and match drivers (15 and 2-10's for example) you get used to the sound and find a certain sound you like and you must have the whole rig to (all drivers) to reproduce this but when the drivers are all the same and you find the sound you like all you have to do is add or subtract cabs to add volume but the sound will stay the same (mostly).

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What they said! They are top of the line and affordable. Now if you want to spend some money, go get some JBL's but it'll cost ya!

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I follow a similar routine, but start from the assumption that I will be bi-amped. I have a 1x12/horn on top which I suppose could be driven full-range (but it would be pretty weak). For quiet stuff I add a 1x12 sub underneath and for louder I add another 1x12 sub.

The point is, build modular; it's easier to carry and scale for the job at hand when you plan for it during the construction and design phase.

Read Cabinet Building 101 for a very good class, and by the end of, you'll know most of the answers you seek.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    thanks you guys are awesome

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    which model(s) of Eminence speakers is best for bass cabs? There are many to chose from.

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    There are many kinds of bass cabs!

Cheap ones use cheap speakers with small magnets.

Spendy cabs use spendy speakers with heavy magnet structures.

Low ones use drivers with a high Xmax (5mm or better) but they are pretty quiet.

Loud ones usually have a low Xmax and high sensitivity (98db or better) but weak lows.

There is really no "good" / "bad" thing going on here; it's a matter of what you want your cabinet to do.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    As an example, say I wanted to build a 4 x 10 cab, could I mix these different 10's within the cab to get a balance of lows, loudness, etc? Or do you want to have all the same kind of speaker in the cab?

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I think Bag End has a 2x10 with 2 different 10s - one has a red center. I don't know if it is just cosmetic or if the 2 10s are different. They sound good though.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If I understand correctly, you wan to put 2x10's that produce bottoms, and another 2x10's that produce mids and highs - something like that?

I'm thinking about turning by old Fender BXR 1x15 in to something like what you've described. It's a very big cab for a single 15. So I'm thinking of turning into a 15 with 2x8's. The idea is that cab will be divided so the 15 will have it's own box, the 2x8's will another box - though it's all in one cab.

Your 4x10 will have to be designed in a similar way. Chances are that even though they're all 10's, they'll have very different T/S parameters, need a different size cab and different porting.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You could do something like that, although the speakers that go low, will not be loud, so you would have something like 3 low ones and 1 high one (making for an odd impedance load with 3 speakers) so they would make roughly the same volume. You would probably have 3 share a cabinet volume and the single high speaker in it's own small cavity. Assume that your low speakers would be about 6-9 db less efficient each than the high one.

14. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Peavey 1516 - 15" BW and a pair of 8" Eminence drivers, crossed over at about 450hz I believe it was. I had one and thought it sounded pretty good! The 8's were in a very small space at the top and it was only about 4" deep or so. I ended up trying 4 of those 8's in a small cab, but it was nasty under 200hz.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd definitely put a passive crossover in the cab to filter the lows away from the 8's. I'll decide the appropriate frequency once I've chosen the drivers. This project is still only an idea and may stay that way for a while. I don't really need another cab but it's just sitting there wasting space, so.....

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Carvin has a design with 2 x 8 and compression tweeter and a 15 in the same dual ported box. I was actually considering the design but I am not satisfied with Carvin speakers for bass applications, great for PA equipment. I still may do it with a better quality speaker, that's why I started this thread. But now I am thinking about a 4 or 6 x 10 cab.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You could do something like that, although the speakers that go low, will not be loud, so you would have something like 3 low ones and 1 high one (making for an odd impedance load with 3 speakers) so they would make roughly the same volume. You would probably have 3 share a cabinet volume and the single high speaker in it's own small cavity. Assume that your low speakers would be about 6-9 db less efficient each than the high one

What about a 6 x 10 cab, 2 being for the highs and mids 4 being for the lows? I would assume there would be 2 compartments within the cab tuned differently, and a crossover. Would the dimentions of the different compartments be completely different?

18. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    As an example, and Eminence B-102 needs about .5 cu feet (high freq speaker), so a pair would take about a foot. The rest of the cab I'd devote to the remaining speakers. You'll quickly find that boxes get pretty big when you want them to go low and have lots of cone area. It's a lot easier to carry smaller packages than a single huge one IMO. Get Bgavin's spreadsheet and start looking at some volume requirements.

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    i think i am going to buy a 4 x 10 cab then build a 15 or 18 sub, this gives me loud and punchy highs and mids for live gigs and chest pounding lows, im thinking something like a gk cab and building my sub with an Eminence speaker.