Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louis Armstrong

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    OK i'm about to go on a mad cd buying frenzy. i'm trying to find some other LA albums i would like. i have a few of his that i really like. i'm looking for some of his later stuff, good recordings, booming bass, bluesy, souly, non-ragtime .....etc. i'm trying to avoid his earlier stuff with all the high pitched horns and the bad recordings with no bass.......does that make any sense?

any suggestions?

2. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    History of Jazz soundtrack, Ken Burns documentary has various Satchmo period pieces. You can even grab it from the public library.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Check out his collaboration with Kenny G. That shizzle was awesome.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i want to avoid the early stuff all together :smug:

5. Get the Hot Sevens and Hot Fives boxed set - classic early shizzle from Louis "the pot head" Armstrong - seriously the Hot 5s and 7s are really great - vintage stuff...

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i ended up ordering "the best of the verve years". sounds pretty good.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I understand the influence of the earlier years. I own the Ken Burns best of jazz 5 cd set and it's cool... but a lot of the early stuff is not interesting/ear piercing.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    exactly very ear piercing. i'm tying to find some cds of his later stuff with better recordings. i have 3 of his cds and on those cds there are about 9 songs that are great and kind sound like they are from the same time period.