Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louis Johnson - Slap bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tony G, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah hes a slap monster, i love his style of slap pop

2. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That's why they call him Louis 'Thunder Thumbs' Johnson.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think if you search for Louis Johnson on Youtube, you can see and extended version of this clip, it's about 2 mintues of him doing this kinda thing.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good stuff, and it actually sounds like bass! --not thin watered doen bass.

:bassist:

5. lampstandmonkey

lampstandmonkey

Jan 12, 2006
    he's my favorite bassist. not many people seem to talk about him anymore, but he's my biggest influence.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    That's off his first "Master Sessions" video done in the 70's. I highly recommend it. I do NOT recommend the second one he did in the 80's where he basically says that synths and keyboard sequencers are the wave of the future and putting musicians out on the streets. He also wears parachute pants and a wife-beater.

On Topic: That video is awesome. He's a great slapper by today's standards and it was made some 30 years ago.

-Eric.

7. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    a 2nd video? where can i get this? no where even sells the first slap video in the uk i had to download it

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Heres the longer version on Youtube..

9. I got a copy of his "Star Licks" video a long time ago. The guy is a monster. That video taught me 90% of what I know about slap style bass.

I don't do it much, so I am no expert on the subject, but you can defintely learn from him, at least if you are starting out on slapping.

He does some great funky sounding stuff, and it seems a bit more focused on feel than on speed, like some of today's slap masters.

Makes your butt move...

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've seen the Brothers Johnson play many times and they've had funkier than they did on the albums.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's a great player and he certainly took slap to the next level back in the day (despite other bassists who used to slap being more technically gifted over all, for instance, Stanley Clarke).

he one tihng I cna't stand about that video is his tone, it's really clangy sounding and it seems to "rattle". However, you cannot knock it's authenticity!

12. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    where can i can i get his 2nd slap bass video? i've learned alot from his 1st one, i would love to check out his 2nd but i cant find it anywhere

13. The guys is an absolute monster.
    I have his first instructional video and which he slowed down many of the licks to useable forms.
    He has a unqiue style of using his thumb (over the top) to fret on the E & A string, and while many of the licks are do-able, there hard to place because he uses his thumb to fret the notes on the E string, while playing octaves, and fills on the lower strings w/ his other 4 fingers.

I love his bass tone, pure stringray, scoop out mids, infact in the video he states that the stingray bass was made especially for him.
    Definately a slap influence, and funky as all get out

14. ^ Yup, he says that his stingray was made by Leo Fender especially for him, and that the pickups were made especially for thumping.

15. lampstandmonkey

lampstandmonkey

Jan 12, 2006
    the strings sound new and clangy, i definitely prefer his recorded tone. real thick and powerful.