Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louis Johnson slap vid?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    this vid here

god love that MM sound, but whats up with his right hand? o_O

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Ya gotta love (and geeze, I can't believe I'm saying this) "Old School" slapping.
    Not the crazy silly double thumping maddness that is all the rage these days.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1
    I dig the double thumb thing and ya gotta love 'Victa' and Alain Caron and Marcus (when he uses it) but there's nothing like 'old school' slapping which, IMO, better applies to everyday playing in a band context! I think most of us older cats play that way. I've been playing since the early 70's!

5. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Whoa now!! I'm only 37!! But have put in 21 years now.
    BUT!!! I slap a bit like that. Check out my "myspace" link in my sig down below. Click the first video. Granted it was just wanking, but I'd like to think I'm from the older school as well.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I saw that video when I was 15 or 16, totally blew me away. Not because it was so flashy, because it was so funky!

Victor, Alain, Oteil, Keith Horne...all amazing players and thumpsters. But have any of them thumped a solo on Top 40 radio? Nope. Has Louis? Yup!!!!

Mike, I definitely get most of my shiz from that stuff too. You can actually use it on a gig....

7. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i love louis johnsons slap style, nothing beats the old school slapping like him like someone sed, i am trying to get my right hand slapping technique and bring it alot closer to louises than Fleas, which i have more or less successfully done, like he says on the vid, if u wonna go wild, just let ur self go wild, but he alwasy slaps the D string, where as i sometimes slap or pop, but i'm not sure if i should just go for all slapping it, but Louis FUNKS!, i wish there was bass players like him still around into todays popular music, but i dont think that will ever happen..theres only one louis johnson

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yep, Louis's grasp of rythm is impecable, he's from the Larry Graham "school" of funksters as are many such as.
    Nate Phillips
    Prince
    Tyrone Crum
    Randy Jackson(american idol)
    Jermaine Jackson
    Marcus Miller-older stuff
    Tyrone Brunson
    Timmy Allen
    just to name a few of the old school slappers.

9. bassbrother

bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    Guys, you should check the dvd George Duke - Live Tokyo 1983 . The groove of Louis (together with drummer Steve Ferrone) is incredible...:bassist:

10. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i would love to check it out but theres absolutly no where i can get stuff like that in the u.k, do you no of any sites i can order it from or something? i have never seem louis johnson live..shameful i no lol, but i would love to buy some live stuff of him doin what he does best

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Get the last Duke CD and the dvd is included!

12. bassbrother

bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    But that dvd contains only a part of the concert...just google on "George Duke live in Tokyo" and you will find an internetshop. Really amazing how Louis Johnson is hammering on his old Yamaha like a beast, for almost 90 minutes!!:bassist:

13. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I used to go to a lot of the Brothers Johnson gigs back in the 70's just to watch 'Thunder Thumbs. They had a whole lot more funkier funk live then they did on their albums.

14. rymix

rymix

Mar 14, 2006
    m8, I did, and I wish I hadn't. Now I feel sooo inferior.

Granted, I've only been playing 'seriously' for two years, but I can't for the life of me imagine ever being able to make even half the sounds that you do. :crying:

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Wow, thanks man!!:) But I'm just doing my thing. 2 years in and I sounded like a total dolt!!
    And it's really not as hard as you would think to slap. I spent way too many hours with old Chilli Peppers (my punk side is showing!), Level 42 (a LOT of Level 42 actually) and old Prince.
    Just start slow (and for the most part stay that way) and work through it.

16. rymix

rymix

Mar 14, 2006
    I just learned how to set up my Stingray, and it instantly transformed my slapping. I now use light strings, low action and, probably most importantly, I learned to crank up the bass, NOT my right hand. It's soo much easier when you let the bass do most of the work (this might be a bad habit, but hey, I can now push out tunes that just a few weeks ago I thought would be permanently beyond me).

Sounds to me like we have similar musical tastes and influences...I'll give you a shout in 19 years to see how we compare ;)

btw, that neck-bend thing you did...I did that on my starter bass (Tanglewood Rebel 4K) and broke the neck. Hairline crack adjacent to one of the bolts, and it just wouldn't keep its tuning after that. I was mortified, but it did me a favour in the long term, as I went straight out and bought a Musicman :D

17. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    thx, i found it, but whos geroge duke? is that a band or a person? did louis play with them/him? alot?