Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louis Johnson with Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by shirojiro, Apr 4, 2002.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Just sitting here trying to get some work done, and I put some Michael Jackson on the iPod through headphones.

I never realized how great Louis Johnson's playing is on the "Off the Wall" tunes, esp on "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough.

Holy moly.

I thought he played Music man, or Trekker, but that tune is clearly a P bass, and his fills up on the G string are just great. The growl is super thick, and the groove is just right there.

I never really gave any of this a close listen, I guess. Usually, I was at some club, drinking, and checking out the women! :D

-Shin

2. One of the Brothers Johnson albums has Louis on the cover with a Precision; another one has him using an Alembic. He didn't start using a Music Man until '78 or '79, IIRC.

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Now I'm listening to Louis with Jeff Porcaro on Michael McDonald's "I keep forgettin."

Now that's a sweet Stingray sound.

What a great groove. Makes me nod my head no matter what.

Man, I need to go practice!!!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The P-bass is on the cover to Lookin' Out For #1.
    The Alembic is on Right On Time's cover...the Music man is on BLAMs cover.

Couple comments about the Bro-J's debut record, Lookin' Out For #1-
    "Thunder Thumbs & Lightning Licks"-Nice Funky instrumental; "Tomorrow" is a nice, melodic, E-Z listening instrumental(I think Q did a vocal version of this tune on On The Block).
    The album also has a cool cover, IMO, of The Beatles' "Come Together".
    Pretty impressive debut album by these guys back in '76 or so.
    (Mellow Madness, a Quincy project, MAY have been the brothers' first recording...just in case Brad shows up in here!). ;)

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    all i hear is synth bass on dont stop til you get enough.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't heard it in quite a while but I'd bet it's Greg Phillinganes on synth bass. "Mouse" is one of the best.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hi Jim;)
    "Look Out for #1" was the first recording as the Brothers Johnson. They had already been playing with Billy Preston for several years by then (I think George had the gig and got Louis in later). They were on his album "Music is My Life" a couple of years earlier.

For Funk bassists in the 70's, "Look Out for #1" was a benchmark recording. Louis took the Graham thing to another level, in a direction totally different from Stanley. It's kind of funny to think that a young Marcus Miller would start recording only a couple of years after this album.

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I thought that too, but listen to it with headphones. It's bass guitar for sure. Louis Johnson is credited.

-Shi

9. All Jacko albums have great bass.
    Jim

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    louis johnson is credited on songs where theres synth bass all over that album where he might only play during a break. and when he is playing on that album its a stingray.

11. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I thought Willie Weeks played on "I Keep Forgettin"

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...darn, I did forget about the Billy Preston era! ;)
    I do remember seeing that band on TV...major, major 'Fros(except for the drummer)! ;)

Louis is the bassist credited on "I Keep Forgetting"(at least on my album's liner notes).

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I still remember seeing Billy one year with short hair and the next he had a humongous fro, the biggest one I had seen up to that point.. Seemed pretty suspicious at the time.

Louis is the bassist on "I Keep Forgetting". Willy played it live.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I talked to Louis Johnson once, and among other things he told me how Michael Jackson totaly ripped him off for Billie Jean! He also told me some funny **** about Stanley Clarke:D

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I love funny ****... pm me, jerry;)