Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Louis Johnson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 8, 2005.

1. I'm still fairly uneducated when it comes to Louis Johnson.. Can someone tell me some bands he's been in and songs I should check out??

Thanks!

2. he has an instructional video out, i think. I saw it many years ago, so i can't be to sure.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Take a look here.

Also, he has many recording credits for famous artists, most notably Michael Jackson. He was the bass player for 1979's "Off The Wall" (with songwriting credits, also), 1982's "Thriller" and 1991's "Dangerous". "Thunderthumbs", as he's also known, is also credited as the bass player for the famous 1985 song "We Are The World".

Some extra info here.

4. there is a video of him on basslobster.com

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I recommend, for the beginner to intermediate slapsters, his first video of Master Sessions. It's from the 70's I believe. His Master Sessions #2 is much later and he's gotten greasy with parachute pants.

-Eric.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yup. Buy a "Best of..." collection or buy each of the following albums

• Blam!!
    • Right On Time
    • Look Out for #1

Also, look for things produced in the '80s by Quincy Jones.

• "Off The Wall" Michael Jackson
    • "The Dude" Quincy Jones
    • "Back On The Block" Quincy Jones

If you really want to hear something sick, get "We Supply" off of Stanley Clarke's "Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand" album. Louis Johnson and Stanley Clarke together thumpin' like mad-men.

Peace,

James

7. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    I've been learning form his first video, its tought me alot about his style, but where can i get his 2nd one? any sites?

Wheres the video on basslobster.com?? i cant find it

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Check out The Brothers Johnson 'Stomp'- there is a great line and also a great bass solo in this tune. Get his two instructional videos. Especially the first one on VHS. :bassist:

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in '77 or so, there was this Quincy Jones' double album called I Heard That!...some new stuff + older 'hits'/favourites. This was never issued on cd (TMK) & I can't find my vinyl copy to save my life!
    (Chuck Rainey plays some nice Pop material on Side 1)

Anyway, on Side 2, there was an instrumental called "Midnight Soul Patrol": Alphonso Johnson plays the fretless groove while Stanley & Louis 'duel' during the solo section.
    Happenin' to say the least.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Louis Johnson is the brotha that got me into bass playing in the first place :hyper: so I can shed some serious light here.

As many posters have said, He and his brother George were discovered in Tokyo by Quincy Jones who later groomed them into the Brothers Johnson. Louis was called Thunder Thumbs for his aggressive slap style and George was called Lightning Licks....they have a song entitled that. Far as I remember, they put out about 4-5 albums. Some of the notable songs are Stomp, Light Up the Night, and Strawberry Letter 23.

Personal issues forced the band to dissolve and Louis formed a Gospel Praise band that released a couple of albums. Quincy picked him up and they worked on several Michael Jackson songs, Quincy Jones' own "Q's Jook Joint" and numerous others. After that he's been mainly a session/studio player, but I haven't heard from him lately.

He's got 2 GREAT instructional videos out there and if you want to hear more music, check out MSN Music and search for The Brothers Johnson.

Hope this helps!