1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Louis Johnson's or Larry Graham's amplification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Surly, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I was just flipping the 'tube and besides absolutely loving Mr. Johnson's playing, I watched a bunch vids and never saw an amp in the backround. I also searched around and now I'm curious, as to what kind of amps these funk guys like Louis Johnson or Larry Graham were known for using?

There's lots but here's some examples of amazing tone and style:

murphy likes this.
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Whatever was loud! There wasn't exactly much choice back in the day...

Alex

3. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    So I guess they used tubes? I don't remember when solid state components came out.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's some mean-ass tone there!

Back in the day, somebody mentioned Larry Graham as a bassist and I was thinking:eyebrow:. I had only heard the song One in a Million You and I actually asked, "THAT GUY???...is a bass player???? No way!"

I knew about Sly and the Family Stone, but never really concentrated on the bassist. Keep in mind that I was really young at that time.

That being said, in one of those vids, the cabs are Acoustic cabs and I suspect the heads are also Acoustics.

Edit: I love the distortion on Dance To The Music! I've been trying to find a distortion/overdrive box to get that sound, but to no avail. The original Juggernaut isn't made anymore and ProCo's model, from what I've read is pure garbage.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm pretty sure that back in the late 60's and early 70's Larry used Acoustic 360.

6. I thought he may also have used Sunn

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think it was a Neve with some Pultec.

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Who said you can't slap with tubes?! Better tone IMO. Beautiful, not to mention their technique is incredible. :bassist:

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That clip of Louis Johnson with George Duke is probably my favorite bass solo of all time. I highly recommend that you pick up the DVD of that (George Duke in Tokyo: 1983). I know Louis was using some sort of Yamaha bass, and I can see amps in the background of the DVD, but can't make them out. I think it's either a Sunn or Acoustic, but it's definately a 2x15" cab.

BTW - Louis' action in that first clip by himself is ridiculous. That's a whole lotta' buzz, but it still sounds cool.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Note to self - don't learn left hand technique from Louis Johnson.

:bag:

DWBass likes this.
  11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene

I hear that one.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    In this Larry Graham clip, I saw the words Acoustic on the speaker cabs.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I always thought Larry used Acoustic amps. Dunno about Louis but I would gather he used Acoustic at one time or another since they were the 'high powered' amps of the era.

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    His left thumb almost touches the D string a couple times. I like his right hand technique though.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm pretty sure the Acoustic website has Larry as a former user. I never saw Sly but I recall someone telling me that they saw them at a football stadium and he was using 4 Acoustic 360's.

16. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I bought a SUNN Colisium 300 when I was 14. The music store had a poster of Larry Graham standing on a pile of SUNN amps. I've seen him use a Fender Super Bassman & a 2x15 cab for Sly performances. Larry said in interviews that he used a number of different rigs over time & that he had no problem showing up to a show and plugging into whatever rig was provided for him.

17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    In the Youtube clip Larry was using two Hughes & Kettner stacks which were given to him by Prince. Here is another clip of Larry playing my favorite bass part of all time....

woody357 likes this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think that was his way of muting. He has a wild slap style.

19. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Back in the early 1970's, I saw Larry Graham several times and he was using an Acoustic 360 head with two 301 Cabs (1 18 inch speaker in a folded horn design with power amp in the cab). This was also one of Jaco's favorite rigs.

I never saw Louis Johnson, but I seem to recall that, before he endorsed Trekker basses, he had an endorsement deal with Musicman. Not only was he pictured in some adds with the natural Stingray he is known for, he was also pictured the the Musicman HD150 head and 115rh reflex horn cabinet.

Maybe the folded/reflex horn design has something to do with the great slap tone these guys got? Also, note that these are 15 and 18 inch speakers -- Not 10's as is more common today.

20. dlmx21

dlmx21

Oct 5, 2012
    Louis endorsed SWR amps. He said that at the time they were the best bass amps in the world!