lounge jazz

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ThePaste, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Could some of you guys give me a clue as to who are some lounge jazz acts? I'm not even sure if it's "lounge jazz", probably more like light jazz or easy listening. But I was thinking about a Migty Mighty Bosstones song called "Tell Me" which starts out really mellow, and I like that. So anyone know of a band like that?
  2. Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I love how this never got any replies. Over 9 years later. Probably because of the whole "lounge jazz" thing.
  3. Hahaha

Actually some lounge jazz is really excellent... The early stuff is kinda like a trippy derivative of swing with lots of Cuban, Brazilian, and Hawaiian influences (among others). It led to a lot of crappy stuff, but that's just like many other styles of music. A lot of modern day rockabilly, surf, and garage rock acts have incorporated lounge influences into some of their material for a jazzy, exotic flavor...
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Look at the plethora of suggestions you were able to make.
  5. Shakin-Slim is definitely right. I mean, it's the whole "lounge jazz" thing probably...
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, it's good that it's finally been cleared up.
  7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    But seriously, I do consider myself to be very knowledgeable about this genre.

"lounge" jazz is really not what the original poster is thinking it is. Lounge jazz is any instrumental pop from the mid-century, encompasing anything from major crooners like Frank Sinatra, to lesser known artists like Julie London or the marvelous Bobby Troup. Many of these artists surrounded themselves with the cream of west coast jazz musicians at the time, so the end result is really, really awesome. How is it different from regular jazz? Not that different, except it is jazz with a "context" meaning, built around a song. Not a lot of noodling and solos and chromatic "sheets of sound" like with Miles or Coltrane, but shorter solos, more melodic.

Larger groups that are in this genre are groups like the Henry Mancini orchestra, Jackie Gleason, Esquivel...and then smaller groups like Cal Tjader and George Shearing which made music in this vein.

The music itself is heavy on the flute, Organ, bongos and vibraphone, if it is instrumental. Sometimes even a jazz harpsichord! The music is often fun and whimsical.

A great introduction is any of the capitol records "ultra lounge" series, though they are hit and miss. My personal favorites are "organs in orbit" and "space escapades".

Then, there are huge subsets of lounge music called "tiki", and they are usually the large bands of Yma Sumac, Les Baxter, and the smaller groups of Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman.

Modern day tiki is best exemplified by bands such as the "Tikiyaki Orchestra", "Martini Kings", and "Don Tiki" or "Waitiki". Florida has an awesome group called "stolen idols".

You can go to the website 'Tiki Central' for more information. I am a regular member of that forum.

Before anyone turns thier noses up at "Louge" jazz, please check out some of the suggestions I have made!

While it is true, some modern rockabilly bands, surf bands and ska bands have paid homage to this genre, it is nothing compared to the real thing. Mighty bosstones is not a good example of what "Louge" jazz is.
  8. This is also a useful website for anyone interested in this stuff:

There is a strange sensation of retro in the collective revival of this dead thread...
  9. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    The Tikiyaki Orchestra:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is this - music to accompany hurtling down the Cresta Run at 100 mph on a "tea tray"? :p
  11. I kinda dig the music. Takes the edge off and mellows me out a bit. New chance for a post by a user who probably doesn't even come on here anymore. This is awesome. The music kinda reminds me of Napolean Dynomite. I think it's the organ.
  12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,

An odd reference, indeed!

No, the Cresta Run club members probably only listen to classical. Lounge Jazz is music for swinging bachelors, not for snobs. What I have noticed is that serious jazz people often neglect the genre known as "lounge" jazz.
  13. i think that post was in reference to louge jazz, not lounge jazz. btw, it's spelled "luge" if you want to get specific.

14. Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    My personal favorite on the Vegas side of the genre:

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jokes often work better when they don't have to be explained in full...;)
  16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Oh...now I see it, I had a typo in there I had not previously noticed.
  17. agreed. unfortunately they sometimes do. :D
  18. TobyBrodel

TobyBrodel Guest

Mar 3, 2008
    you see, bruce's post was humourous because lucas missed the 'n' out in lounge repatedly. but then it became unfunny when it was overanalysed. then the tedium built and built until a flood displaced 14million people in Pakistan a week earlier.

gee, thanks a lot, displacers. (barf)