Lounge Music....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, Jan 18, 2002.

1. as you may have noticed, i have a new gig where the main styles are lounge and bossa nova...i dig this type of music but i don't have much idea on what artists i should pay attention to...can anyone suggest some????
  2. I really can't think of any artists I've listened to in those styles. But the Doors 'Break On Through' is a good example of bossa nova, and 'Riders On The Storm' is a good example of lounge.
  3. yah...i'm a big doors fan...but i was thinking stuff along the lines of Antonio Gilberto, Stan Getz and such...thanks though!
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bossa Nova: Gilberto Gil, Venecius de Moraes, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto, Chico Buarque, Sergio Mendes, Eelis Regina, Luiz Bonfa, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Edu Lobo

Two quintessential bossa nova albums would be "Black Orpheus" and the Stan Getz album with Charlie Byrd whose name escapes me. For "pop" bossa nova, you can't beat Sergio Mendes' first "Brazil 66" album, made popular in...yup...1966.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you want grade-A lounge stuff, get yourself over to Amazon and input the names Esquivel and Martin Denny. Groovy, baby. If you prefer cheesy-ironic tropicalia-inflected lounge, try Os Mutantes and Towa Tei.

For more modern bossa, check out Vincius Cantauria and Bebel Gilberto.
  6. Boplicity

When I think lounge music, I think Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond. A stereotypical lounge song would be "CopaCabana" by Manilow. Also I'd add many of Sinatra''s and Tony Bennett's best known ballads.

By the way, I was actually privileged to see Martin Denny actually play his lounge music in the lounge of the Waikiki Sheraton only a few months before I read of his death. I loved his music, especially his most famous song, "Quiet Village."

Another great Hawaiian lounge act is Don Ho. His "Pearly Shells" would be the most famous of his many hits. Once I saw his act at the Waikiki Hilton. he sang "Pearly Shells" but afterwards said, "How I HATE that song; I've sung it millions of times."
  7. Boplicity

Just thought of two more typical lounge acts, Wayne Newton and Bobby Darren (RIP). Wayne Newton has had arguably the longest running successful lounge act of modern times. His single biggest hit is probably one form his early youth, "Dankeshoein." (Now I KNOW that is misspelled.)

Bobby Darren might easily have been as successful as Newton or even more so if he had not died so young. Two of his biggest hits are "Mack the Knife" and "Somewhere Across the Sea." He switched to lounge-style singing from his early start in rock and roll. His biggest hit from that period is the unforgettable, "Splish, Splash, I Was Taking a Bath." Honest.

By the way, I'm probably one of the few here at TalkBass who does enjoy a good lounge act. Some of the best are in Las Vegas. I also have heard excellent acts in Manila, Caracas and even Nairobi where Italian bands hold sway...or did. I haven't been there in nearly three decades.
  8. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
  9. Boplicity

When I click on the Richard Cheese link, it comes up blank.
  10. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Sory about that. I guess it went down. If you use a file share program check out some of his stuff. Its realy funny.