"Love Foolosophy" - Jamiroquai

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbloke, Sep 10, 2002.

1. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    A band I'm in is playing this song. The bassline is busy but not technically too difficult and I think I've more or less got it nailed in terms of playing it.

My problem is I just don't SOUND like the record. The style is more contemporary than most stuff I play (my normal sound for this band is closer to a Bernard Edwards kind of thing) and most of what I practice is jazz.

Any Jamiroquai buffs out there able to give me tips on how to get closer to the sound? (I'm playing a Lakland 5 through an Ashdown combo).

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Since you don't have a problem with the technique, we won't consider this a technique issue. Off to Recordings with you.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I can't answer your question, but I can say that in the two years I have been here, there have been numerous posts on Jamiroqui in nearly every folder. Try a search and see if someone, somewhere didn't answer your question. You may have luck because the band is very popular here.
  4. wicked song, dude. I play it with my church band.

as for trying to sounds like the record, I just ty to get as close to it as possible cos my gear aint the best.

As far as im concerned, as long as youve got the groove down tight, and your sound is okay, why worry about exact tone?
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Probably the squillion zillion pounds spent on production and mastering is what makes Fyffes tone what it is, plus that fact that you're not him!All in the fingers as they say! :)

The ashdown should help mind, they are quite distinctive amps, IMO. Here's a link to an recent interview, I think he talks about his Yamaha, for what it's worth?!

My fav song off funk oddessey is main vein. great a-typical 70's funk groove. gotta say the whole cd is awesome tho.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was told that he recorded that particular song with his Zon 5. That might explain that extra bite in the mids on that song.
  7. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    Thanks guys. I don't use any effects so it's maybe no surprising I can't sound like a guy whose using 14 pedals! Interesting that Nick's using a Yamaha because I have one of those too but I'm using the Lakland all the time at the minute.
  8. MiguelAngelCH

Mar 20, 2013
    I think the feel its the most important thing on that bassline. I tried to recreate it as much as I could on my cover, check it out!