1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Love for the OCD!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Jul 15, 2019.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've gone thru a whole lot of drive pedals over the years: DiCosimo 800RB; Pike Vulcan; Darkglass; EHX; MXR; Boss... The list goes on. All of them were great in their own way but none left me really satisfied. I always found myself tweaking them while on stage (a bad look, if you ask me), or spending an inordinate amount of time at home or in rehearsal trying to find a sound that I was happy with.

A couple of weeks ago, I did a show about 5 hours away from my hometown and went into a music store. There, I found a Fulltone OCD for about $80 USD and decided to give it a shot, thinking it would be a good addition to my guitar rig, as I often work as a guitarist as well. It sounded great on the guitar in the store and I figured I'd plug in a bass just for poops and giggles to see what it sounds like and I found myself surprised by how good it sounded! So I bought it and since I had two shows (as a bassist) at that venue that weekend, I decided to put it on the board for the second one and I'll tell you what - I was blown away!

I don't know why folks sometimes say that this guy sucks low end out... With my rig, it definitely does not. I leave the switch on the LP setting, put the drive at around 11 o'clock and the tone at 12:30 and she screams like a banshee whilst still sounding like a proper bass. I've used it on five performances so far and man am I impressed!

If you've been avoiding this pedal, I suggest giving it a proper go. It's cheap, cheerful, and really very good. That is all. :thumbsup::bassist:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    catcauphonic likes this.
  2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Had a rehearsal last night with a Phish-inspired jam band that I occasionally rock with. I'm no Phish fan myself but it's always fun to freak an open jam environment. :bassist:

I forced them to endure my OCD experimentation and even these cats loved the sound! A nice, light, open overdrive setting, mixed with some chorus really got their ears to perk up... I wish I had a reverb pedal though.

3. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I’ve been messing around with a Fuzzrocious Demon for about the last month, it’s their take on the OCD design. I’ve really come to love the circuit, it emphasizes the pleasing lower mid freqs and to my ears it gets close to that elusive SVT grind :)

superheavyfunk likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021