Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love, love, Lakland...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just got my new Skyline Hollowbody delivered by UPS.
    Ive played a couple of hours through my practice combo and it´s love at first sight. Im even starting to like the feal of the flats. It´s not super versatile but what it does it does in a great way. And there´s no hum. With neck pup soloed its a Gibson EB-2 clone and the bridge pickup sounds much like a Rickenbacker horseshue bridge pickup or Musicman without the sharp highs. It might not nail these sounds in an A/B test with the basses mentioned but it´s just so you get a clue of what it sounds like. My favourite sound so far is bridge pup at 10 and neck at 8 and the pups in series.

But what I like most about this bass is the neck and the quality. Now I know how great fretwork is supposed to feel. Ive read many great reviews about this so my expectations where really high.
    Also the bass balances better than any bass Ive owned (Fender J and P, Rickenbackers, Epi Casady etc...)
    I really cant find any negative about this bass. Well, there was some polishing dust in the control cavity and in the F-hole but that was easy to remove.

I love this bass. Just got to find a gigbag that fits and I´m set.
    And here´s a pic:
    [​IMG]

2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Nice ride! Looks great.....better than Gibson though.... :ninja:

3. Laklands are great basses, without a doubt. I've owned quite a few and moved around some but they were all superb. Some of the nicest people on the Planet too.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That´s what pushed me over the fence. Even though Im in Europe. I try to only deal with companies that stands behind it´s products like Lakland.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got one in red, but I'm liking your sunburst. Yeah, thay are a great bass, especially for the money. Fit and finish is top shelf with killer tone. The coil tap switch helps alot. I love the sweet tone from the single coil mode but it gives great dark humbucker tones when you ask it to. The HB construction is unique and worth the price of admission alone.

6. i have been wanting a semi-hollow for a while now. this one gives me g.a.s. big time!!!!

7. Nice!
    Where did you get it from, and how much was it? And what about neck profile and weight? I want to know everything about that beauty (since it's on my distant GAS list).
    Have fun!

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Big time GAS bro. KILLER

9. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    welcome to the club. Lakland really nailed it with the HB and then made it affordable via the Skyline series. Watch out as these have a tendency to become your main bass. I have yet to find a gig or application where this bass failed to find its voice. :hyper: Enjoy!

10. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Those Skylines are incredible. Really, really beautiful in that 3-tone. Honestly, (for me at least) that is the very picture of what a quality bass should look like. Well, the USA with the quilt top might have an edge. Let us know how you like it after gigging once or twice.

11. Ultimo_Dragon21

Ultimo_Dragon21

Apr 29, 2004
    Mmmmm... Lakland...

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I got it from www.station-music.de and the price ended up the same as for a US import + taxes and custom. I dont think they want me to type out the price here. But I got a fair deal.
    I´ll PM you.

The neck profile is rather flat D shaped. The nut width is somewhere between Jazz and P-basses. Perfect for me. The neck on the Epi Casady I had was much chunkier and rounder.
    Weight is somewhat less than your avarage P-bass. It is hollow but the Epi Casady was a bit lighter.
    And the boudy is so comfortable. I love the lack of binding the can dig into your arm. The body feels almoust like a Fender to play. Not at all like the Casady that felt really big and sharp.
    Hope this helps!

13. I got your PM, thanks. Seems like you got a good deal, and that Station Music seems like a good shop to do business with. I'll file that under "worth remembering for the future".

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I've tried an Epiphone JC once, and found the neck to be far too round and chunky for my tastes. And neckwise, I find J-basses to be too narrow most of the time, and P-basses sometimes too wide. Somewhere right in between seems ideal.