Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love me some Alphonso

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 20, 2002.

1. I've been really studying Black Market lately and I've gotta say, Alphonso Johnson is the man! "Gibraltar" really shows off his rhythm, in particular--I feel resolutely un-funky compared to that.

I really need to pick up more of his work. Unfortunately, other than Mysterious Traveller, Tale Spinnin', and that Santana reunion disc, I know of nothing on which he's played. Any recommendations?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    billy cobham/george duke band
    alivemuthafoya
    his first two solo albums
    allan holdsworth-velvet darkness

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Two Tom Coster discs-

Let's Set The Record Straight
    ...released in '93, it's AJ & Dennis Chambers kickin' ass! I'm checking out the first tune now...ridiculous.
    Swing + some very active interplay between Johnson & Chambers.

The Forbidden Zone
    ...released in '94, Jeff Andrews plays bass on 4 of the disc's 12 tracks. AJ playes on 5, Coster does synth bass on 3.
    Again, DC is on cans.
    Both albums, IMO, are prime examples of '90s Fusion with a capital "F".

AJ is also on the Jazz Is Dead albums...the Grateful Dead tribute band. I only have their initail release. It's a killer band with Billy Cobham, Jimmy Herring(of ARU), & T Lavitz(Dregs' fame). I think Jeff Sipe(of ARU) replaced Cobham on the 2 subsequent albums.

I wish I had AJ's '70s solo discs...I do have a Best Of that was released a couple years back.
    Pretty decent stuff.

The Montreaux Summit, a live '70's "All-Stars" gala is pretty cool with a nice version of AJ's "Bahama Mama". Probably OOP, though.

(...I'm not gonna mention The Meeting disc).

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I was checking out Black Market yesterday whilst @work.
    "Herandu" is another Funk-fest...in 11 no less!
    (I think!). ;)

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yeahh boyyee! Alphonso is the shiznit- i go way back listening to him- he also appeared on a few Airto and Flora Purim records- one i remember is "Open your Eyes, You Can Fly"- Black market is one of my fave WR records- you guys rock for being hip to that stuff- here i go, i cant resist...
    [​IMG]

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    oh yeah. phil collins' first solo album too. (i make no apologies for liking this record:D )

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I started playing fretless after hearing him way back when (mid 70's). I love everything he does... even the work on Jeffrey Osborne's "Stay with me tonight";)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like a lot of the stuff Phil has done. Every check him out with Brand X?

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    only every album!