Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love My ancient GK800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Thump, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    The last couple of gigs I did, I was running Sansamp into head, at practice and at home it sounds great set it to SVT,But i found that at both shows my bass has'nt really been cutting through,I took out the sansamp and bingo,It just sounded great on stage and off,lots of grind,punch etc. it reminded me of why I went GK in the first place, and it has been bulletproof since I got it in '83, now i gotta get me a NV 610 to run it into. Cheers

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've had a similar experience with my SansAmp BDDI. Sounds great when I'm practicing alone, but I can't even get it to cut through at band practice so it's never been used at a gig.

The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the SansAmp is simply because I bring it to all my gigs for backup in case my rig fails.

3. Coolness- I also love the GK tone- it's sharp and well loud... I just sold my 400RB III and got an 87 model 800RB- I've had it a week and already I love it to pieces. It just sounds so awesome, deep yet defined with my Jazz- I cant wait to try it out with my new cabinets & P-Bass!

4. I love the tone of the SVT setting on the Sansamp too,but like you say it takes out the mids that help cut through a band.The key to mids on the Sansamps is backing the blend off to about 12 oclock or so and the mids will be there.If you like the 800RB without the Sansamp that's cool but the blend knob really helps.