1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LOVE my Future Impact, so why am I GAS'n so hard for a Meris Enzo? Talk me in/out of this...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pbass6811, May 21, 2020.

1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Not much else to add, LOL! I've got an FI. Just rehoused it(Thanks to @GisserD!) and updated it(Thanks to @Quatschmacher!), it's totally good to go!

Having said that...

I can't stop watching demos of the Meris Enzo! It just sounds amazing and it's polyphonic! I've got a few pedals I can move to cover the costs, but, should I? I have two pedalboards, so I can justify it, but...:confused:

Like Maynard said "I don't want it, I just need it" :help::help::help::D

Quatschmacher likes this.
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It isn’t really polyphonic except in the Dry signal mode. The Poly synth mode does not track well on bass in my experience. It does do some cool unique stuff, but it is super fiddly and limited and you have to use MIDI or an extra switch for any presets (dialing in the same tone twice just using knobs is not easy IME).

Grahams Groove and pbass6811 like this.
  3. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Enzo. It does sound rich and the filters sound amazingly fat but overall it is extremely limited. The biggest gripe is that there’s no way to control the output level of the synth signal. The envelope controls are very limited - you can either adjust the decay and the attack is regulated automatically or vice versa. The polyphonic mode is a kind of arpeggiator rather than a block chord affair; I found it picks out overtones as well as fundamentals so can be a bit random. @GisserD had an Enzo and he loaned it to me for a couple of weeks. I’d recommend the C4 over the Enzo.

pbass6811 likes this.
  4. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    I've had both for a few years and echo the previous comments. Changing the input from line level to instrument level can help slightly but the tracking isn't what it should be. That said I wouldn't part with it as some of the sounds are killer. You can usually pick one up on reverb used.

pbass6811 likes this.
  5. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pretty much agree here- I love my Enzo but it is super quirky and limiting. It does a few really cool and unique things and can be fun just for inspiring new ideas. Lack of volume control is a major shortcoming I should have mentioned before, as alot of the synth tones are crazy loud. I think you could sort of get around this by routing dry/wet to different outputs and using the Blend to control the synth level but I've yet to try this (and alot of the tones I like I want blended with clean signal!)

CliffD likes this.
  6. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    You could route the whole
    Pedal into an LS-2 and trim the volume.

sunbeast likes this.
  7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    You guys have done a very effective job of talking me out of an Enzo, I appreciate that!

I guess I'll take a look at the C4. I do have two pedalboards...;):D

sunbeast likes this.
  8. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    That's the way. Had both - still have the C4. I cannot think of an area where the Enzo was better than the C4.

9. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the Enzo’s arpeggiator especially while manipulating the filter, and it’s the one thing that it does that is especially unique and useful for me. I’ve been using the Enzo and C4 in series in various combinations and it’s a great combo (especially being able to control the Volume on C4 patches to tame the Enzo).

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah there are lots of second pedal solutions (been using it in conjunction with C4 patches where I can control output volume). Just seems like a major thing to leave out! I feel that way about most effects that lack volume control.

11. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I personally love the Enzo. It doesn't need software to be setup, it makes good sounds using the knobs.

All depends what you want it for, it will not mimic sounds already created. It will sound new and open a different way of thinking. Those quirks are what hide the magic.

I do also agree that it is limited, and that the volume is a bugger. Meris offers a mod to help change that now. It does well with companion pedals like Zoia that interact with it.

sunbeast likes this.
  12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I dunno...maybe it’s just me, but if I were you, I’d go with a Schumann PLL

13. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah I didn't know that! I don't quite understand the mod looking at the Meris site, but I will definitely send it in just for the fix on preset saving