1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Love my Genz but...thinking PA type rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Sep 27, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Every time I play at church (PodXT on tube preamp flat thru PA/Monitors with the usual eq and effects) I just love the sound. I am again debating going back to a set-up like that. I almost always have PA support so all I need is a monitor for places that don't have them or for when we use our own PA. For stand alone gigs, it's usually just jazz background stuff so I don't need a lot of volume. I'm thinking a 2-way 12" wedge would do the trick.

Anyone doing this? Any thoughts?

2. Seems to me you already have a good PA setup?

D/I out of the little Genz and voila?

Plus you have a nice stage monitor and handy standalone practice amp.

What problem needs solving here, amigo?

3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    There's really no problem. It is a good set-up. Just thinking out loud. I usually have dumb thoughts and people here tell me so and I move on.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, there you go then. Run your line however you like, but don't lose the amp. Never know when you might need it.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I think it *might* be a matter of getting bored with the same gear after a little while - but you know, the grass usually isn't any greener on the other side... If you have something that's working well for you, often times it's a mistake to make a change merely for change's sake...

To me, the biggest advantage of keeping you current set-up is that you can always pair that amp up with a larger cab if the need arises in the future - yet, it works well as is for your current needs... JMHO,

- georgestrings

6. Keep the genzzzz bro!!Your call

7. If you are GASing...by all means GAS away! Have you played with Sansamp stuff yet? I think its cool stuff that can scratch the new tone itch without a major investment.

8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not really GAS, just love that "flat, PA" kind of tone. I have tried SansAmp before but didn't really care for it...at least then. Maybe it would "scratch my itch" now. As you say, it is an inexpensive way to fool around. I have thought about giving a Pod a try again. I like the preamp/amp models. I don't use effects much, but the amp stuff is pretty cool.

The Boss GT-10B is cool but so big and so extensive. A little more than I would even need I think.

9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    True, but it isn't necessarily volume I am talking about. It's that "flat" just my bass tone thing that you get in a direct/PA type of environment...you know what I mean? I really like that sound. I guess I'd have to have a pretty serious cab to get what I am hearing at church. I mean, it's dual 18" subs, 3-way mains, a 2-way 12" monitor with plenty of power and my own mix.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You already have a "PA type" amp Steve.

All of our amps are based on pro audio topologies, and are really quite flat by comparison to the balance of the industry.

When you take the direct out in the pre position, it's flat within ~0.5dB, 20Hz-20kHz. That's fine when playing through a substantial PA w/ subs, but not great voicing through more compact bass cabinets which is why there's additional voicing in the post position, Even so, with the LF extend engaged, it's -3dB point is in the high 20's.

11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. I really love my combo. As I said, sometimes I get these crazy ideas and need to be straightened out. I think I need to visit the 9.0 thread again. what I'm probably "missing" is just a little of the tube pre and low end a slightly larger cab would give me.

I just love the size/weight/convenience thing of my combo. A Max 6 or 12 and nice 112 or 210 and a cart would probably be just what I need. The Sadowsky would kill through a rig like that.

So given what I said about "PA" sound, knowin gI play mostly supported (not always subs) gigs and stand alone jazz and small venues for covers, and the fact that I'd like to use a Max head, what cab would you suggest?

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Uber 212.

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have gigged the Max 12/Uber 212 and it is fantastic. I just don't know if I need all that power and cab. My combo gets the job done, but it is missing a little "umph" at times...not volume, but volume of sound if that makes sense.

14. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    what about the 10T extension cab?

15. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    +1! If you haven't tried the 10T extension cab with your combo, please try to check one out. It's much more than you would think...the second cab opened up a whole other world of possibilities, gig wise, for me. The second cab gives a whole lot more authority to the bottom end and the overall volume capability is way more than I expected. Not a stadium rig, by any means, but if I want to travel light and cover a medium volume gig (no full stacks on '11', but with a heavy-hitting drummer), the 3.0-10T with a 10T extension has, frankly, surprised me with its competence.

Kim

16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm pretty sure the 10T cab is all I would need. More than a few people have told me that. I'm close to getting one. I LOVE my 3.0/10T combo - sound and size. Great for rehearsals and stuff, and just throw the extension in the car for gigs and larger rooms. Get one of those little foldable carts and I'm good to go. The 2 channels on a Max are nice, but really, I tend to prefer the FET and even when I tried a Max I had the Tube on very little - just a touch. I could get a pedal to do that I suppose.

17. Voila! :hyper:

You need a cart for...34 lbs? ;)

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I made an offer on EvilBay for an extension cab tonight. It was fairly low but we'll see. That should take care of my itch for a Max 12 and/or Uber 212, neither of which I need. The extension is something I could have used last weekend.

19. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    No, but for jazz gigs I have to carry a music stand and books as I don't have all the jazz standards memorized yet so I need more hands - not necessarily for the weight - or lack of it.

20. Just kidding, mate :)