Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love my new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unbridled, Aug 10, 2005.

1. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I picked up a Spector Q5 last week to replace my aging Ibanez. I played about 5 different basses and it was the one. I got a great deal as it was used (barely, it still has the protective plastic on it). Just had to share my excitement.

I had never played a Spector before but they sound great!

By the way, I went in thinking I would buy a Peavey. The store had 2 milleniums and a grind. one Millenium had a bad pickup, the other had a bad mid control. the Grind just sounded like crap. I wonder what is happening to Peavey's quality control

2. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas

IMO it never did

3. IMO peavey have gone the same path as Ibanez... good before about 1990... then they suddenly released there was a big market for cheap rubbishy stuff.

4. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I really thought peavey was going to have the bass to beat after reading all the hype on them. I guess they are spending more money on marketing and less on quality.

Anyways, LOVE the spector

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    New grind is notoriously poorly made. As far as I can tell the Millenium is s step down from the Grind on paper, I tried one at the time I ws buying, no issues but the Grind BXP was just better tonally. The Grind BXP I have on the other hand, well that awesomly built, absolutley no faults after over 2 years of service, not even noisy pots in the preamp. No rattles, no wobbles, no rough edges, it puts a lot of bases to shame in both tone and quality departments. I'm sitll annoyed that Peavey replaced the Grind BXP with the NTB as the NTB just does not compare. I think you made the right choice, however if there was a Grind BXP there I think your mind would've been changed :p. However, they are discontinued for well over a year :(.